Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

MtG - article in latest SMR

Hey all,

I haven't been too active collecting or on the forums as of late, but I did see the article in the lastest SMR. Did any of you other MtG lurkers see it? They interviewed Dan Chang about the state of Magic collecting, focusing on the graded end (of course). There were some very neat cards pictured, including a PSA/DNA graded Alpha Lotus (PSA 10). Overall an entertaining article with some good info and not many errors. On the other hand, it was Mr Chang.... image

Take it easy,
Jared
"You consider me the young apprentice,
Caught between the Scylla and Charibdes,
Hypnotized by you if I should linger,
Staring at the ring around your finger" - Sting

Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

Comments

• Options
    Hey Jared,

Do you think that was actually Dan or one of his 6 or so alias names he uses to sleaze people when it comes to selling? It's too bad PSA did not actually speak with a true expert about the game as there are so many factual errors about the game in his story that it is almost comical. While it does shed some light on our game and corner of the collecting hobby market, having that buffoon as the spokesperson for the game does more harm than good.
  • Options
    tmmoosetmmoose Posts: 253 ✭✭
    Darn it - I flicked through it and couldn't see anything of interest so I binned it... does anyone with a scanner and a few free minutes have time to scan it in and e-mail it to me? :-)
  • Options
    Although it had some errors, it was an entertaining article that should shed some light on our end of the hobby and get it some more recognition.

Jason
    Seeking 1984 Donruss PSA 10

Unopened 1975 material

UL Magic the Gathering
  • Options
    Hey Len,

I wondered why they didn't get YOU to do the article - longtime established dealer, PSA authorized rep, #1 nonsports set of the year (MtG Alpha), frequent contributer to these boards, etc. I was sort of wondering how Mr Chang was chosen instead? Oh well, I may never know, I suppose...

Alas, my technical equipment is not up to the task of getting you a copy of the article Michael, I'm sorry to say. My scanner broke years ago, and all my money is tied up in pretty cardboard sqares wrapped in plastic image

Hope all of you are doing well and please don't follow my example - by all means post frequently and get new cards (I need to live vicariously through somebody, darn it!!).

Take it easy,
    Jared

Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.
  • Options
    hey guys - i was surprised when i opened smr and saw an article related to mtg - i didnt realize that collecting graded mtg was that popular - i dont activly collect/play mtg anymore ( i played from about 94-01 ) but found it intresting about the evolution of the game - i was wondering how most fo u came into collecting the graded mtg ? are u all players that wanted to compile graded sets ? or just card collectors that like the art ?
    collecting:
    1990 leaf in (10)
    1986 topps mets (10)
    2008 ring kings cut signatures
    any Darryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden, Keith Hernandez cards in (10)
  • Options
    Well, before MtG came out I was an avid card collector. A fellow collector introduced me to Magic and I fell in love - the game was awesome and wonderfully collectable. Over the years my interest waxed and waned, and I quit collecting after Prophecy came out, only playing in the occasional sealed. I finally left the game for good ( image ) after Onslaught came out.

About 2 years ago I dug my cards out and began to look at them again. I decided that I wanted to finish upgrading my sets so I began to examine the current card market. I discovered PSA and found out that they graded cards. Since I'm also a coin collector I was very familiar with the concept of TPG's. I bought a couple of graded cards and was hooked. I began to go through my cards and pull those I wanted to grade, I bought raw cards with an eye towards grading, and I just plunged right in. I've learned a lot along the way and met some great people.

My current focus is to complete my album set (the project that started it all), with the added goal of putting together PSA sets of Alpha, Beta and Unlimited. I have also been sorting through my boxes of cards and spending lots of time on player forums with the intent of getting back into playing - I love the new Legacy format and really want to give it a try. Overall I'm enjoying myself immensely and looking forward to getting back into the game. Now if only my wife would let me buy some more cards... image

Take it easy,
    Jared

• Options
    Hello guys,
    I have been out MTG for 6 month. And i looked back now to see how the set was looking image
    I saw you guys are still all here.
    I have been playing DAOC for 4 month and was busy in "real" life recently.
    I sold my DAOC account and i move back to Europe now.
    So i am realy busy now. In Europe i don t know yet what country i will go. First France for sure but after January i don t know.
    So i am selling again all my life here ... I see you lurking on my cards but i will keep those image
    I won t have a computer for few weeks i guess with Xmas and new year and vacation i will be busy skiing and visiting familly.
    I hope you guys will have good time this Xmas and for new year.
    I think next year i will try finish the unlimited i guess image
    Bastien (Tromagic)
    Collecting MTG cards from Alpha to Antiquities.
  • Options
    Hey Guys,

It's been a while since I checked in. Hello all the way around.

Bastien, my friend, it is good to know you are doing well. The mundane world sucks us all in from our fantastical adventures. I pretty much had to give up on serious computer gaming when my son was born 4 years ago. Funny how I managed to channel that energy into a more respectable outlet, collecting PSA graded magic cards image good luck in your travels and email me when you want to finish your set. I have a few newly graded unlimiteds for you and Michael.

I have to credit Dan for selling me my first gaded card. He sold me some really rare cards for my beta set, however, DAcardworld provided way more. The other sets I graded myself. Dan has probably got some friend(s) at PSA. That strokes his ego by allowing him to live vicariously through them. All I know is that I find him greedy, untruthful and insincere. I don't trust him about any thing of importance. If he had the last 10 to complete my beta set, I'd tell him to go f**k himself. I love doing that to him!

Len, Agreed? Agreed!

Anyway, I haven't read the article, buy thanks for poiting it out to all of us Jared.

Peace out.
    Steven Karpman
    "spacebaby" on ebay
  • Options
    Daywalker,

I played from Unlimited hrough Urzas Legacy. I quit and sold off my collection in 1999. I started collecting PSA graded cards in 2004. The game has evolved way past anything I have the time for. I just couldn't keep up. I know alot about the early sets and they are definately the only ones to grade from a valuation perspective. I have collected beta through Antiquities. Check out my collection.

I still think my beta set rocked Len's alpha. It gives me something to whine about besides the last superbowl.

Unhappy in Seattle.
    Steven Karpman
    "spacebaby" on ebay
  • Options
    tmmoosetmmoose Posts: 253 ✭✭
    I was a player from Revised to Fallen Empires. Antiquities was around for a couple of weeks so after I started playing and then promptly vanished. At the time I stopped playing there was a standing joke amongst my friends that M:TG sucked up whatever money you had in your pocket... so I decided to sell my cards and put the money to better use rather than fritter it all away! The highlight of my playing career was winning an signed 'Flood' artist proof from the dark. And the lowlight was losing to someone with Ali from Cairo and a spectral cloak. All the more upsetting because I had a Vesuvan Doppleganger in play and if I'd had my brain in year I would have copied his Ali and the game would have lasted even longer. Oh well.

I tended to watch Lotus prices every few years for entertainment value and then one day saw a PSA 10 Beta Lotus on ebay. I decided that was a bit pricey for me and embarked on an unlimited set instead. :-)
  • Options

<< <i>Daywalker,

I played from Unlimited hrough Urzas Legacy. I quit and sold off my collection in 1999. I started collecting PSA graded cards in 2004. The game has evolved way past anything I have the time for. I just couldn't keep up. I know alot about the early sets and they are definately the only ones to grade from a valuation perspective. I have collected beta through Antiquities. Check out my collection.

I still think my beta set rocked Len's alpha. It gives me something to whine about besides the last superbowl.

Unhappy in Seattle. >>

firstly i was pullin for seattle last year - i live in NY and its a well standing fact that if ur in NY u dont like the teams from PA or MA lol

ur mtg history sounds similar to mine with play time and then droppin off - i still cant belive how much the prices have risen on cards - i saw that signed beta (10) lotus and read that another beta (10) sold for a ridiculous amount

do ppl look for signed cards that are psa/dna certified or more for a high grade ? the reason i ask is cuz i have a few cards signed and was thinking about sending them into psa/dna cert, they wouldnt grade out high cuz they were played but the sigs are decent and the cards themselves are all game staples ( lotus, mox, lightning bolt, shivan etc ...)
    collecting:
    1990 leaf in (10)
    1986 topps mets (10)
    2008 ring kings cut signatures
    any Darryl Strawberry, Dwight Gooden, Keith Hernandez cards in (10)
  • Options
    To all collectors:

Thanks for the feedback and opinions of the article and Graded Magic The Gathering Cards. First off, I would like to thank those who are positive of collecting these cards and the many collectors and dealers I have worked with in the past years. I really feel sorry for those who have a sour taste of past dealings, as I can tell you first and foremost, my dealings with these individuals were fair and honest.

Feel free to contact me anytime at: mechatronicsengineer777@yahoo.com with any questions of Graded Magic Cards in the future. If you are looking to complete your prized set or just start off collecting - I am here to help with any questions you may have.

As for the article a couple of things to clarify:

1. The content regarding the History of Magic wasn't written by me.
    2. The final editing was done by the SMR - and the article overall was well presented.
    3. I never claimed to be the authority of Magic Cards - but I do believe I am an expert of Graded Magic Cards and the authentication of them.
    4. If you would like a copy of the SMR, Jan 2007 edition, simply call PSA at: 1.800.325.1121 and ask to speak to getting a copy of the article or subscription.
    5. Lastly, I strongly recommend all collectors to look at the positive aspects of collecting magic cards - especially graded ones. There is so much to gain, and with the rarity of these cards, there will be less and less of these in the future. I wish you all a happy holiday and a wonderful 2007!!!

~ Daniel J. Chang