Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help!...I need a hand with some older unknowns

I got a bunch of older pieces today and can't figure some of them out. Could anyone give me a hand?

#1...this one is about 15-16mm and appears to be silver. It looks like it has been struck twice.

#2...this piece is toned and I can't tell it's composition. It's about 15mm in diameter. The design on one side appears to be struck off center, but there is another rim with two dots/pellets outside of what appears to be the original rim design.

"Have a nice day!"

Comments

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    The top one looks like a Hungarian Madonna and child denar. I can't tell the year, but I can make out the legend on the portrait side.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    That second one is tough, I have no clue.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    That second one is a toughie!

It looks to have crossed keys, and I'm at a loss right now as to where I've seen those before. I know a Pope or two had them on his family arms. And the shapely nature of the arms (if I'm seeing it right!) is more typical of Italian heraldry.

But I have no clue!
  • Options

<< <i>It looks to have crossed keys >>

I did not make that out on first look, Papal States perhaps? I'll have to drag uot the Berman book on Papal.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I believe #2 is Livonia(Riga) under Swedish rule, although I can't find an exact match in Krause. Legends appear to be: Christina DG DRS/ Solidus Civi Rigen.

The design on one side appears to be struck off center, but there is another rim with two dots/pellets outside of what appears to be the original rim design.

These were struck with roller dies, the extra rim/dots are from the next die pair.
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    I can't find the same on on anything that I've spotted on the internet though. The ruler would be Christina? All the Christina coins that I can find have letters in the center and a date - this one has an arrow or point.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    I love mystery coins!image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first one looks to have the name "Wladislai". ("Vladislaw", when anglicized?)

I do believe DCH nailed the second one, or at least got pretty close. I was thinking along the lines of something Swedish when I saw the S-O-L-I-D- of "solidus". It would be struck in billon, most likely. The Swedish solidus I discovered in a bulk lot once was billon, but much more coppery and brown than your example, there.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.