Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

To Grade or Not To Grade (Modern)

I have been a lurker on these pages for some time now and have been involved in the hobby since 1976. I remember that when grading first was discussed, it was mentioned to me that it makes no sense to get low serial-numbered cards graded as the cards are so limited that they will have the same value graded or not. As the years passed, I don't believe that this held true. I collect modern cards and to me, I love to get a gold refractor numbered to 35 or 50 graded out at a PSA 10. It automatically puts it above the remaining cards as all modern cards are not 10's(even though there are some people on the board who don't believe this) What is everybody elses opinion on grading these low serial numbered cards?
#1 2000 Blue Xceptional Set(and #2 and #3, it's a sickness)
1933 Giants

Comments

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a near complete set of modern auto cards #'ed to 25. Just shy one to have a complete set and I haven't see it yet. That being said, I guess I agree with you. If you like the set and like them graded -- go for it!
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Halosfan, Do you have them graded? What set are you collecting? and one more question, How many cards make up the complete set? Thanks for your input.
    1933 Giants
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    The set I am building is 2004 SP Game Used All-Star Signatures Basketball. The one card I'm missing is Jordan and I am not convinced it was ever made. And the ones I have are all graded.

I've also started a few baseball sets that are serial numbered == some 50 card insert sets and some full sets running 200+ cards.

I do these because I like the cards and they give me something to do when I get bored with the other sets I'm building.

I think a number of these low print run sets are well designed and will be tough cards to come by down the line.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    I feel the same way. Great player selection and a low number of cards can make a great set. I like it when the players actually autograph the card, not a sticker that is attached to the card. This autograph also limits the number of PSA 10's as it is an extra person who is handling the card. Maybe even more than that. Good luck with your sets.
    1933 Giants
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    It you enjoy the grading aspect, I would say go for it. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here. I personally do not grade modern inserts (though admittedly I have very, very few) but I cannot see any reason why not to do it. If it gives you more enjoyment in the hobby, then go for it!
  • Options
    If it's limited and you want to keep it safe but still be able to handle it whenever, I say get it graded. That's what I love most about graded cards: the slabs. I love to take out my cards and stare at them. Much less worry when they're in an airtight plastic container.
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options

<< <i>If it's limited and you want to keep it safe but still be able to handle it whenever, I say get it graded. That's what I love most about graded cards: the slabs. I love to take out my cards and stare at them. Much less worry when they're in an airtight plastic container. >>

I agree 100%. If the cards are that special to you than it makes no sense not to have them graded just for the protection factor of having them slabbed. Especially when there's a modern special for $5/card. I don't have to much modern but I am slowly working on obtaining all 25 numbered auto cards for a young player from the same set. I've got 6 of the 25 now but fully intend on having them graded just so I can handle them without fear of damage.

Arthur
  • Options
    Arthur
    I love it. You are like our old friend who keeps popping up here, who wants to "corner" the market. I am also trying to do what you are doing. Whenever I get a card a need, I mentally calculate what percentage of the total population I have. I have collecting projects that I will never finish, such as collecting the same serial number of all cards that belong to a set. It makes it much more of a challenge(although I know it is impossible). I get them all graded on the $5 specials. It is good to know there are others like me.image
    1933 Giants
  • Options
    I agree. I collect Topps/Bowman Yankees cards and I always pick up "modern" when they are available on the Bay many at less than the grading fee. I buy them slabbed simply to protect them as they will be passed to my son and grandson when I expire and I dont have the deep pockets of some to chase that high grade and I think many of my 6's and 7's look close enough to a 9 or 10 that the extra cost is not worth it to me as long as eye appeal is pleasant.

Bill