Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

GRADE WEIGHT?

Sorry guys, I'm new to this. What does the grade weight of individual cards represent? Is it how hard they are to obtain, the condition sensitivity?

I was looking at the set composition of my Jack Dempsey Master set and was trying to figure out why a 1926 Hand Cut strip card would have a grade weight of 2 while other issues which are much more commonly found and easier to obtain higher grades in would have weights upwards of 6.

Thanks for the help guys.

Arthur

Comments

• Options
    Example: for a 500-card set with all cards having a weight of one then your GPA is based on a divisor of 500.

If, for a simple example, 100 of the 500 cards has a weight of two then the divisor would be 600 for the 500 cards as 100 of them have a weight of two.

The divisor for determining a GPA is the SUM of all the weights; usually 1 (for the most common) to 10 (for the ultra-important super-star).

Bottom line, if GPA is the driving force for you registry set then weighting is important.

The only glitch I have found is that low-POP cards (i.e., scarcity) usually don't effect weighting as much as star cards, espicially rookie cards even if there are many.

Hope this helps some,

Dave C.
  • Options
    star players or short printed cards have a higher weighting. Low POP does not necessarily equal high grade weight typically unless the card was short printed or it is pretty well accepted that it is difficult to find in a higher grade such as the 52 Pafko. This is my understanding of how this works.
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    I saw another post a few weeks ago and somebody there said weight was based on value.
  • Options
    The weight of each card is supposed to be determined by the value of the card in PSA 8 condition. So, among all the cards in a given set, the highest value cards in PSA 8 will have the highest weights.

The "rules" link at the top of the registry home page has a section that details out the weighting.

Doug