Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

1909VDB (PCGS64RB) MATTE PROOF LINCOLN CENT AT AUCTION

Those of you who collect the Proof Lincoln cents for the PCGS registry will have another opportunity to aquire the rare 1909VDB Matte Proof Lincoln cent when it goes to a Heritage auction on Wednesday, November 29th. 1909VDB Matte Proof Lincoln Cent

While the Heritage notice says that 1,194 were issued, most of us feel more comfortable with the traditionaly accepted SOLD quantity of 420 reported by the US mint. In any case, it is generally accepted that less than 200 exist today with the three key diagnostics.

1. Die polish shows on front of and top of the nose on the obverse.
2. Die scratch from the back of Lincoln's coat going into the field below the right leg of the "R" of LIBERTY on the obverse.
3. Crescent shaped die chip to the right of "M" in UNUM on the reverse.

I know Doug has some great pictures of these KEY diagnostics.

This coin is just not generally available from dealers. Almost all are in the hands of collectors (like me) who truly appreciate owning this coin. The current bid (7 bidders)with the juice is about $11k. Considering that the PCGS price guide has the coin valued at only $7k it tells you how Lincoln cent collectors really want to own this coin. Good luck if anyone here is going after this one. Steve

Comments

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

How much would a Proof 66 red 1909 VDB bring in auction in todays market ?

Stewart
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    I thought it might be interesting to post from the Heritage auction archives exactly what 1909VDB Matte Proof Lincoln cents have sold for (including juice) since 2000.

1. NGC---PR64BN-----June 2006------$8,050
    2. PCGS--PR65RB-----June 2006-----$17,250
    3. PCGS--PR66RB-----June 2006-----$29,900
    4. PCGS--PR66RB-----Feb--2006-----$25,300
    5. NCS---PR60 --------Nov--2005------$1,265 cleaned
    6. PCGS--PR62RD-----Jan--2005------$5,750
    7. PCGS--PR65RB-----Dec--2004------$9,200
    8. PCGS--PR64RD-----Nov--2004------$7,187
    9. PCGS--PR65RD-----Nov--2004-----$20,125
    10.PCGS-PR64RB-----May--2004------$7,130
    11.PCGS-PR65RD-----Jan--2004-----$20,700
    12.PCGS-PR65RD-----July--2003-----$13,800
    13.PCGS-PR65RB-----July--2003------$5,290
    14.PCGS-PR64BN-----Jan--2003------$4,600
    15.ANACS-PR63RB----Sept-2002-----$4,255
    16.ANACS-PR63RB----Apr-2002------$1,955 (my coin-cross to PCGS)
    17.PCGS-PR65RB------Nov-2000-----$5,635
    18.PCGS-PR65RB------Aug-2000-----$4,945
    19.PCGS-PR66RD------Aug-2000----$14,950
    20.RAW--PR62BN------Jun--2000-------$920
    21.ICG---PR64RB------Jan--2000------$2,450

I would guess that probably no more than 30 others have traded owners in the past six years via other auctions or private treaty sales. Anyone else have some input on this? Steveimage
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve, #3 was a red brown. Thanks for posting the data

Doug
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    This coin certainly has been picking up speed in the last couple of years as far as prices are concerned.

It'll be interesting to see the final price.
  • Options
  • Options
    Doug was gracious enough to let me post this information he provided in 2004 on the 1909VDB Matte Proof Lincoln cent:

q]A couple of threads ran last month concerning the number of dies used to strike Matte Proof Lincolns. I agreed to take some photographs of the diagnostics that are on my coins and post them, along with some of the information. Please look at your Proof VDB, and post to the thread whether or not it has these diagnostics. Maybe we can get to the bottom of the dies used. Knowing the dies used for key dates is very important for anyone looking to buy one. There are fakes out there, so beware!

There seems to be some discrepancy between the authorities (Flynn, Lange, Albrecht, Breen) about the number of dies used for each of the years. Steve was gracious enough to mail me some additional information, which I have read and used to take the following pictures. (Thanks Steve C.!!!)

Kevin Flynn stirred the waters with his 1996 publication that there were actually 1,194 VDB's minted, which directly contradicts the official records, pop reports, and the other authorities which have long concluded that there were only 420 minted. Additionally, Flynn states that there were two ovberse dies and three reverse dies used to make the VDB's. Albrecht reports only one obverse die, and one reverse die.

The VDB obverse: To date, I have only seen one obverse die used on a VDB. The prominent diagnostics (aside from standard proof characteristics like squared rims) include: (a) die polish in front of the nose, and (b) a single die scratch behind Lincoln's coat toward "R" in LIBERTY. This obverse was also used to strike some, but not all of the 1909 plain MPL's.

The VDB reverse: To date, I have also only seen one reverse die used on a VDB. The most publicized diagnostic is a small crescent shaped die chip near the rim, between the "M" in UNUM and the top of the wheat ear. However, after looking at my own VDB, there is a fairly prominent die gouge at 6:00 beginning below the "D" of VDB, and extending up through the period, into the back of the "B" in VDB.

I plan on posting the other dates as I can. Matte Proof Lincolns are a short and very sweet series to collect. In my opinion, it is one of the most undervalued series on the market today. >>

I hope the above information is helpful to anyone who may desire to own one of these rare coins. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. This is a great example. Thank you Doug. Steveimage
  • Options
    Thanks, Steve. Just for clarification, that second pic on the reverse showing the gouge through VDB is not a recognized diagnostic. I believe when I posted that originally, I was wondering if it showed up on other examples of the vdb.

I'll try to take some better pics of the diagnostics from my current example and post those. I've got a better lens now for doing macro work, so that should help also.

Doug
  • Options
    New bidder brings the coin up to $11.5K with two days of internet bidding to go. Good luck. Steveimage
  • Options
    Internet bidding ends tonight at 10PM CST. Interestingly, Heritage now posts bid source in their archives and in the last two years an internet bidder has won six of the seven Heritage auctions featuring a 1909VDB Matte Proof Lincoln cent. This may make it 7 out of 8 if nothing changes at the live auction tomorrow. Steveimage
  • Options
    The internet bidding is over and there were a total of 9 bidders. The last bid was $13k + the juice or $14,950! That is exactly $50 less than the PCGS price guide currently has for an PR65RB. Today, PCGS raised prices on a few of these coins in various grades including the PR64RB from $7K to $7.250K. I have a feeling that by next week more PCGS price increases on the 1909VDB Matte proof coins will be posted. This coin goes to final bidding this evening in Dallas. I'll post the final results later. Good luck if you are trying to win this coin. Steve image
  • Options

<< <i>How much would a Proof 66 red 1909 VDB bring in auction in todays market ?

Stewart >>

A 66red would go to the moon and back at auction right now.
    Doug
  • Options
    I agree, Doug. It appears this coin is finally catching up with the rest of the Lincoln market, as it should. Any full red example would probably bring very strong bidding, and a 66RD could bring moon money.image

Dan
  • Options
    I know Stewart has a PR67RD. Anyone know who has the other one?

The PCGS price guide shows the PR67RD has a retail value of $40,000. I DO think Stewart's coin is worth a little bit more than that image

The coin sold tonight for $14,950 which must be a record price for a PR64RB 1909VDB Matte Proof Lincoln cent. Congratulations to the winner.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps someone should send an e mail to Jaime hernandez at PCGS explaining he needs to REevaluate the pricing for the 1909 VDB proof Lincoln cent.

I feel a Proof 66 red would bring $75,000 at auction and a Proof 67 red would bring $150,000 at auction.

Stewart
  • Options

<< <i>Perhaps someone should send an e mail to Jaime hernandez at PCGS explaining he needs to REevaluate the pricing for the 1909 VDB proof Lincoln cent.

I feel a Proof 66 red would bring $75,000 at auction and a Proof 67 red would bring $150,000 at auction.

Stewart >>

Stewart,
    I can think of nobody better than YOU to send that email to Jaime. Your input is important and those of us who collect these Matte Proof Lincolns' and especially the 1909VDB would certainly appreciate it. Thanks.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    LOOK at the PCGS price guide for 1909VDB Matte Proof Lincoln cents today! Almost EVERY price went up! Thank you Stewart and thank you Jaime for recognizing this reality. It might be interesting to poll the holders of this coin as to whether or not they would sell THEIR coin at the latest PCGS price guide price. My guess is the answer would be "NO". People who own this rare coin want to keep it for their collection. JMHO. Steveimage