Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A question for those of you who submit for slabbing...

Do you do anything with your coins before sending, like rinsing in acetone or do you leave well enough alone? Is there something you do differently with aluminum coins to remove any surface grime/shcmutz? I'm not talking dips or chemicals or anything, just getting any surface contaminants off.

Cathy

Comments

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    Cathy - I only collect copper and I rinse in acetone, then distilled water before submitting. Just a dunk or squirt bottle, no scrubbing. Gets rid of the boogers you don't want entombed forever with your coin. - Rob
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options

<< <i>Cathy - I only collect copper and I rinse in acetone, then distilled water before submitting. Just a dunk or squirt bottle, no scrubbing. Gets rid of the boogers you don't want entombed forever with your coin. - Rob >>

I don't even trust myself to do that. image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    I dipped a coin that had some PVC and submitted and it graded no problem; the second time, the PVC was noted and BB the first time.

• Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    I usually rinse 'em in Acetone or Koinsolv, just to be on the safe side image - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of a light Vaseline rub with a paper towel to get surface grime off copper. I've also done it with zinc. Never done it with aluminum but I don't see why it wouldn't do all right. Just remove all the Vaseline.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Gets rid of the boogers you don't want entombed forever with your coin. >>

That's exactly what I was trying to say, but couldn't come up with the words as well! Thanks for the thoughts everyone image.

Cathy