Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

question on this coin

This toning looks a bit blotchy, and was wondering if a quick dip would remove it and enhance the overall look?

Doug

Comments

• Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    Don't dip it. Send it to NCS for conservation. They do a great job on these.
  • Options
    Yep, and it may come back a cameo to boot!! image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I'd dip that coin so fast your head would spin!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Another thumbs up for NCS!

I did this very thing earlier this year on the German proof below. Pre-NCS it was in an NGC PF62 holder. Post NCS it was graded PF63 CAMEO.

I absolutely *hated* the haziness and discoloration (not pretty enough to call toning image ) on the piece originally. Well worthwhile!

Pre-NCS:

imageimage

Post-NCS:

imageimage
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>Another thumbs up for NCS!

I did this very thing earlier this year on the German proof below. Pre-NCS it was in an NGC PF62 holder. Post NCS it was graded PF63 CAMEO.

I absolutely *hated* the haziness and discoloration (not pretty enough to call toning image ) on the piece originally. Well worthwhile!

Pre-NCS:

imageimage

Post-NCS:

imageimage >>

nice results! since NCS would do basically the same thing to this one, mind if i ask what they charged you to do it? thanks!

Doug
  • Options
    I think it's around $15 and then the NGC grading fee (if desired) on top of that.
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NCS might be safer than doing it yourself, but a quick dip in diluted EZ-est/Jeweluster and rinse with distilled water might be all it needs. I would be scared to mess with a proof but I have done the aforementioned procedure on cheap Liteside proofs (Kennedies and Ikes with haze) and they came out OK.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    I hate to dip coins, but it looks as if this one might be improved. Good luck.

Now, just in case you wanted a pretty 3 Mark Proof... image - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions