Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Set Registry Question - OPINIONS NEEDED

So I'm new to this and have a few questions that need answers/opinions from you guys that have a few registries under your belts.

I'm currently working on a Jack Dempsey Master set and a few things have been confusing me.

1.) In regard to a particular card that is "condition tough" (a 1920s Hand Cut strip card), it is worth it to obtain a copy that has been slabbed Authentic and use it for the registry even though it only counts as a 1 in the grade department? Essentially, what gives my set a better weight -- % completion or a high grade?

Keep in mind, with particular issues like the 20s Hand cut cards it may be a very long time before something in the 4-5 department arises and the odds of finding a high grade example are slim to none.

Then I have two questions about changing/altering a particular registry ....

2.) Currently, under the Jack Dempsey Master set, it lists multiple issues from the 1880s up until the 1910s of a boxer named Jack Dempsey that isn't the more famous Dempsey of which the set is intended for. In fact, in the SMR it even points out that that particular Dempsey "is not the more famous Jack Dempsey of the mid-20th century." How do I go about having those cards removed and what about other set collectors who already have those issues in high grade (which I'm sure cost a pretty penny) and won't be too happy when they no longer count towards the set?

3.) How do I go about asking PSA to add particular cards to a set registry or is what you see what you get? I've picked up some foreign issues of the 30s (when Dempsey was, in fact, still active) but do they not count because they're overseas issues? Also, there are some hand cut cards that they don't have listed in the registry and I feel they should be there too.

Sorry for the newbie ignorance but I would greatly appreciate info/opinions on these issues as I know some of you have already traveled this path. Also, there may not be a clear-cut solution to one or more of these question so opinions on what "should" be done would also be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Arthur

Comments

• Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Arthur,

1. Adding any card will increase your set "score", however it will decrease your overall GPA if it's lower than your current grade average. Really it's your call. Personally in my master sets I will add any grade to help the completion %.

2. You need to contact customer service or perhaps Joe to initiate discussions on eliminating these cards from the set.

3. Go Here to request cards to be added.

Happy Thanksgiving ,
    Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Arthur,

Adding any card will indeed raise your score and completion %, but could affect the GPA either way. In a situation where the card is rare, I always felt that you should just go ahead and get it. As long as you are happy with the card, that is all that matters. After all, this is for the fun of it, right ?

Your question regarding the " other " Dempsey is an odd one. Ive never heard of a situation like that. Its ridiculous that PSA ever included those cards in the registry if they arent the same Dempsey. I would suggest a phone call or two, or even an email directly to Joe to discuss that one. People who have those cards already entered into their set might get upset should you be able to remove them, but ohh well, they should know who the real guy is over the " other " Dempsey.

As for adding cards that arent included, that isnt a problem at all. You can always add cards to the registry. When you click on the players registry and the list of all time and current finest comes up there is a request link for cards to be added. It takes PSA up to 3-4 months at times to add your request, but eventually it will get done.

Good luck with your set. Always remember you are doing this for the fun of it and try not to get too hung up on your GPA and all that. You'll find yourself passing over cards you normally would want and regretting it later. If you like the card, go for it !!
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    I believe GPA's are calculated as follows:

1) Take the grade of each card you have and multiply it by its weight. Add all of these numbers together.

2) Add the individual weights of all the cards in the set, not just the ones you have.

3) divide 1) by 2) and them multiply the result by the % complete

If I calculated correctly, adding a PSA 1 that carries a weight of 10 has the same effect on your GPA as adding a PSA 10 that has a weight of 1.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    Thanks for the help guys.

Sent an email (just regular SR help) and I noticed today that the "other" Dempsey cards have already been removed. Way to go PSA! image

I surely didn't think it would be that fast. I just really hope the other Dempsey Master set participants didn't purchase those old A & G Dempseys in PSA 8 just for the Dempsey Master set. Of course, I'm sure they could always sell them off and be okay.

Thanks again for the help guys. Much appreciated. I'm at over 7% with two more on the way! image

Arthur