Home Metal Detecting
Options

Garrett system

I recently bought a brand new Garrett 2500 "system" with an optional 12 or 12.5" search coil (cannot remeber the exact size this moment).

I have not used the detector ever, but am planning on doing some searching on ground that use to be a riverbed and the shoreline.

Ground is flat, wooded with tree stumps, a lot like swamp land. Waiting on it to dry up some and search behind the larger trees that are left.

Anyone have comments how good the 2500 is or not for coins, especially gold and silver?

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just joined the "2500 club" this summer and have not had too many outings with it. I am a veteran of the Garrett GTA series, having used the 350, 500, and 550 at various times over the last 12 years, and they are fine for coinshooting. So far with the 2500 I have not gotten "silvered" yet but I am confident of it's and my ability to do so- I just need to take it out more. I have dug a few relics with it and some Wheaties and other interesting things.

You'll do fine with it if you read your manual repeatedly and practice enough.

Goldrush00013 is your man- though he no longer has a 2500 (I bought his), he made some nice finds with it that I am sure he'll be happy to show off.

How could I forget Millennium? Steve uses a 2500 and his two gold coins were found with it.

Here. Check THIS out for a little inspiration. Does THAT tell you what can be found with a GTI-2500, hmm? image

Many of Steve's older finds were made with an old Garrett Groundhog, but I know for a fact that the 1781 Spanish gold escudo and the 1907 $10 gold piece were found with the 2500. So there's your answer about gold. And he found that Nova Constellatio copper with it, too.

And then there was the outing this summer, when I was invited to go with him and canceled at the last minute (and am still kicking myself).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    (Tried to post some of Steve's pics here but Fotki apparently doesn't allow hotlinking. Check out his webpage in the link above- the stuff he has found will blow your mind.)

Now that I've done most of your bragging for you, Steve, when are you gonna take me back out to that Linda Plantation site, hmm? I won't cancel this time, even if it's raining cinderblocks! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone have comments how good the 2500 is or not for coins, especially gold and silver? >>

The 2500 is great for coinshooting. Place it in coin hunting mode and listen for the belltone. It doesn't get much easier.
    Tho while hunting in that mode you will be discriminating most junk signals and at the same time will be missing most of the gold signals,
    Small gold rings (ladies) a lot of times fall in the foil range on the meter but larger ones can register higher but are usually still junk signals. So to find the gold you have to dig a lot of trash. I'm sure Steve can fill you in better on the large gold coins and how the machine reacted to them.

As LM stated I no longer swing the 2500, but the only reason I abandoned it was because of the weight issue and my aching shoulder and elbow.

It's a great machine and you will have confidence in it once you learn the ins and outs.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thnaks for the tips and info guys. I had a 1250 for a while and found it very easy to use. It found "clad" coins like nothing I've ever seen, but I never found much silver with it. I only searched in relatives backyards and public places, but now I have access to mnay more acres of private property. Thought I'd upgrade and get the 2500 system.

Hope to post some finds in a few weeks.