Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Fractional Buffalos Coming in 07!!!!

The family of Buffalos are coming in 07. I don`t subscribe to the on line reading of Coin World so I do not know anything but the headlines. I did not see a thread on this and thought it may or may not be interesting to others. Maybe someone else can access the article and shed some specifics. Chas.
Charles Crews ** CU Members that I have had Buy/sell deals with alohagary,dabigkahuna,goldman86,fivecents,endzone,clackamas,ericj96,Bochiman,Wingsrule,adriana,claychaser,holeinone1972,itsnotjustme,MJcoin,Kishul,jsego,TWQG,carlwolfort,jmski52,steelielee,grote15

Comments

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is a bad idea. The US (RCM) Mint can barely keep up with quality control as is. I think the perverbial "poop" will hit the fan towards the end of next year...annuals, presidentials, first hags, statehood quarters, possible silver prez's, 10th anniversary platinum 3-coin sets, commems, roll and bags.

The good part is the quarter oz is approx. the same size as the original Indian Head nickel. It would make for a nice comparison set.
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    They should replace the AGE series with the Buffaloes. The world gold market likes .9999 gold better than .9167 gold.

OK, if I want to get one of each different coin the mint makes for 2007, how many coins will I get?
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They should replace the AGE series with the Buffaloes. The world gold market likes .9999 gold better than .9167 gold.

OK, if I want to get one of each different coin the mint makes for 2007, how many coins will I get? >>

Someone on this forum calculated that this year it would cost $28,000. Next year will be much more.
  • Options
    Too much crap!
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I predict that the first "4 Coin PCGS 2007 MS70 First Strike Gold Buffalo Set - 1/10th oz, 1/4oz, 1/2oz and 1oz" sells on eBay for over $15,000.00.
  • Options
    That'll be a nice set. Good to see some new stuff coming out of the Mint.
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    The U.S. Mint is turning into a Canadian Mint clone and have lost me. No way am I buying the crap they are offering in 2007.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That'll be a nice set. Good to see some new stuff coming out of the Mint. >>

Yeah - like that Buffalo design.
  • Options
    In my opinion and for the collecting/investing buyers it would really give a lift, to just eliminate the Gold Eagles and start a new program with the Buffalos. Chas.
    Charles Crews ** CU Members that I have had Buy/sell deals with alohagary,dabigkahuna,goldman86,fivecents,endzone,clackamas,ericj96,Bochiman,Wingsrule,adriana,claychaser,holeinone1972,itsnotjustme,MJcoin,Kishul,jsego,TWQG,carlwolfort,jmski52,steelielee,grote15
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    There is absolutely no reason at all to have the Buffalos and the Eagles next year.....

Might be something I would look at but 50/50 at best.....

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They should replace the AGE series with the Buffaloes. The world gold market likes .9999 gold better than .9167 gold. >>

you have a good point about purity but there are lots of AGE collectors that wouldn't be happy. --Jerry
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    But you can't try and please everybody now.....

An impossible task.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭
    Some series just get boring after a while.

Now would be the perfect time to end the Gold Eagles as we know them. On the heels of the Reverse Proof!

Then bring them back with St. Gaudens obverse and reverse later down the road.

Precedent has been set with the buffalo!
    And I ain't lying this time.
  • Options

<< <i>you have a good point about purity but there are lots of AGE collectors that wouldn't be happy. >>

So does that mean they should be minted forever? All series come to an end, someday. (Well, except Lincoln cents of course.) Capping the series gives folk a chance to actually complete it.

Besides, I suspect most would switch to Buffaloes, if they just had to buy a new gold coin every year.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    If we end gold eagles to we keep Silver and Pt? The PT coin is also called the Statue of LIberty, is a totally different design (that I like much better) and could easlily stand alone. The silver coins being less expensive, are more popular anyway and would probably be fine on their own also. I'm fine with 3 different designs for the 3 bullions. I was just pointing out one thing that I'm sure the mint decision makers are very aware of. --Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>If we end gold eagles to we keep Silver and Pt? >>

Sure, why not? Aside from each being called "eagles" (a dubious term to begin with -- in American coinage, an "eagle" is a $10 coin, end of story), what do each have to do with the other? The first 11 years of the program there were no Platinum "eagles" anyway, so it's not like there's any sort of "complete" series about it.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    id be in for a 1/10 buffallette image
  • Options

<< <i>id be in for a 1/10 buffallette image >>

Cute! I think the 1/4 oz size will be popular -- they'll look just like gold nickels.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    i find the .25 sizes most digestable...
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i find the .25 sizes most digestable... >>

Me too.. I think they'll look really nice.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

Legislation says thay have to make the Buffalo in 2007. After 2007 they can change the design.

I think the Eagle and Buffalo will be available for 2007 and we'll have to see what happens in 2008. Hopefully a new design.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds nuts, but Coin World had an article that questioned the legality of putting the .9999 Buffaloes in an IRA.

??????????
  • Options

<< <i>Sounds nuts, but Coin World had an article that questioned the legality of putting the .9999 Buffaloes in an IRA. >>

Legality aside, I question the sanity of putting .9999 Buffaloes in an IRA.
  • Options

<< <i>Legislation says thay have to make the Buffalo in 2007. After 2007 they can change the design.

I think the Eagle and Buffalo will be available for 2007 and we'll have to see what happens in 2008. Hopefully a new design. >>

I'd like to see the Saint design, personally, in .999 rather than the "obverse only" saint in .900. I'm not saying to get rid of the current .900 Saint, but another option for bullion buyers would be appreciated. Definitely keep the buffalo gold.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

<< <i>I'd like to see the Saint design, personally, in .999 rather than the "obverse only" saint in .900. >>

Current Saint American gold eagles are .9167 fine, not .900.
  • Options
    I like the idea of replacing the AGE the the AGB. But the rest of the stuff, too much. They cannot manage what they are selling now, how will they ever manage more.

But if we keep buying, they will keep producing. Basic economics, supply and demand.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'd like to see the Saint design, personally, in .999 rather than the "obverse only" saint in .900. >>

Current Saint American gold eagles are .9167 fine, not .900. >>

They could make a .900 version as well.. image

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    Now, fractional reverse proof buffalos, that would be interesting!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Sounds nuts, but Coin World had an article that questioned the legality of putting the .9999 Buffaloes in an IRA.

?????????? >>

Please clarify, what do you think sounds nuts? That the legality of putting .999 fine buffalos in IRAs has been questioned, the fact that the buffalos aren't legal for IRAs, or that Coin World wrote an article on the question? (Strickly speaking it isn't legal to put them in IRAs because the law that allows gold bullion coins in IRAs specificly states that only the .916 fine US gold eagles are acceptable. The buffalo doesn't match that legal requirement.)
  • Options
    AWESOME! Another Gold Buffalo Thread!

Actually, this is old news. This was all brought out when the
    $50 Gold Buffs first came out and the Mint made it known
    then that there would be fractionals next year.

It was discussed in all the other gold buff threads.
    But now everyone knows for sure that it's a reality!
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Actually the Mint did a survey with a focus group of Mint Customers - dont know how they pulled my name, but, i've been a customer for 25 years....

The questions were very direct and to the point -

1) Fractional Gold Buffalo's in 2007 - would you buy, would you buy a 4 coin set (1,1/2,1/4,1/10), would you buy individual coins, proof and matte uncirculated, etc.
    2) Fractional 1/4 or 1/10 buffalo's in a Unc set featuring all mints (P,D,S,W) in a special set (limited)
    and a whole host of other questions,

seems like they are gearing up for a big 2007.........
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    Seems like they're 'killing the goose that layed the golden egg'.

I love that the mint has a diverse product offering (compared to the 60s through the 80s), but this is nuts. IMO The number of collectors who will collect, let alone afford, the mint's bullion product offering will decline dramatically next year, especially at where metals are priced currently. You'd have to throw down more than several thousand dollars to have one of everything--and who wants that anyway? My guess is the more the mint spews out, the more collectors abandon products they really aren't committed to collecting.

I personally couldn't care less about platinum regardless of how limited the mintages are. Gold's another matter for me. I like both 1 oz. coins. I'd be seriously bummed if they discountinued the AGEs. However, I really couldn't care less about fractionals of either series. Realistically, do you think the bulk of gold collectors will chase fractionals of both series? I don't.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options

<< <i>The U.S. Mint is turning into a Canadian Mint clone and have lost me. No way am I buying the crap they are offering in 2007. >>

Now if the US Mint would only clone the high quality level of the RCM. I've stopped buying US silver proofs sets becuase of the poor quality and white haze problems.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any New News on the release of these?

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think this is a bad idea. The US (RCM) Mint can barely keep up with quality control as is. I think the perverbial "poop" will hit the fan towards the end of next year...annuals, presidentials, first hags, statehood quarters, possible silver prez's, 10th anniversary platinum 3-coin sets, commems, roll and bags.

The good part is the quarter oz is approx. the same size as the original Indian Head nickel. It would make for a nice comparison set. >>

Don't forget the new Penny due out in 09. They could screw that up, too!
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Sounds nuts, but Coin World had an article that questioned the legality of putting the .9999 Buffaloes in an IRA.

?????????? >>

Please clarify, what do you think sounds nuts? That the legality of putting .999 fine buffalos in IRAs has been questioned, the fact that the buffalos aren't legal for IRAs, or that Coin World wrote an article on the question? (Strickly speaking it isn't legal to put them in IRAs because the law that allows gold bullion coins in IRAs specificly states that only the .916 fine US gold eagles are acceptable. The buffalo doesn't match that legal requirement.) >>

What law are you referring to? the only law I found was IRS Pub 590, Page 48 which states that investment in collectible coins is prohibited with the following exception:

Exception. Your IRA can invest in one, one-half, one-quarter, or one-tenth ounce U.S. gold coins, or one-ounce silver coins minted by the Treasury Department. It can also invest in certain platinum coins and certain gold, silver, palladium, and platinum bullion.

The only specification is that they are a) US and minted by the Treasure Dept., b) a certain size, and c) a certain metal.

I think a reasonable judge would side with the reasonable interpretation being any currently minted US silver or gold eagle or gold buffalo, especially the uncirc version.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    I thought other coins were also acceptable for IRA accounts.

The only problem with those, is that it is kept in someone else's possession.

As far as the fractional buffs, I think it would be nice if they didn't charge such a ridiculous premium on everything. But that isn't going to happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file