Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Anyone have any ideas what this is??

Comments

• Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a counterfeit goldpiece from Spain-Leon and Castille from the time of Ferdinand and Isabella.

Here's a Half Real:

Spain, Ferdinand and Isabella. (1474-1504). Silver 1/2 Real of Seville.

Another one:

Ferdinand & Isabella cob 8 Reales Seville, Cayon type 20, choice VF, very boldly struck and attractive, slight oxidation stain on the reverse.

To my knowlege the gold version of this design doesn't exist (it looks much different) leading me to believe yours is counterfeit. The lettering looks odd and too fat also...
  • Options

This was the nearest I could find to it.

Oh, and it's not mine. Just something I was contemplating but wanted to check here first. The only images I can find that look similar are of silver coins, as you said, so probably a fake.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a pancake with some uneven burns in the middle image
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like a counterfeit goldpiece from Spain-Leon and Castille from the time of Ferdinand and Isabella. >>

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>Looks like a pancake with some uneven burns in the middle image >>

mmmmmm.......pancakes
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I have one very much like that. While mine is a better fake than the one shown, it is just as fake.

imageimage
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com