Home Metal Detecting
Options

The next coin I dig...

will tie my highest total for a year , 4800. I got out for a bit yesterday and dug 3 coins. I though I had number 4800 but it turned out to be a gold wedding band. When I saw 10K I was excited..until I saw the GF that followed.
I'll set my new record today. Just waiting for the temp to warm up a bit.

Comments

• Options
    Go get um dock image

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Hey Dock,
    Since you mentioned it, would you give a brief of what the "GF" means as well as the other abbreivations found on gold jewelry? Or a link to a site that describes them would be great.
    Thanks,
    Gary
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I was wondering what the "GF" means also. image
    Bob
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    GF....Gold Filled.

Gold Filled Goldfilled, or Gold-Filled, abbreviated g.f. = Lower in gold content than 10 KT, usually 1/20 or 1/12 KT. In this technique a sheet of gold is mechanically applied to the surface. Victorian pieces are likely to be unmarked, but later pieces are marked with the fineness of the gold layer, and the part by weight of the gold. For example any piece marked "1/10 12K G.F." is composed of at least 1/10 12K gold based on the weight of the finished piece. In the U.S. gold - filled pieces must be at least 1/20 by weight to be classified as gold-filled.

Gold plated A layer of gold applied to base metal, usually by electroplating. This is usually a very thin layer, only a few microns, which is likely to wear much more quickly than gold-filled.

Gold Tone Gold coloured or electro-plated, not real gold as in measurable in karats or value.

Gold Washed " Gold washed " describes metals that have an extremely thin electroplating of gold (less than .175 microns thick). This will wear away more quickly than gold plate, gold-filled, or gold electroplate. The gold is applied by either dipping or burnishing the metal, but it is not plated.

• Options
    Set my new high.

Coin #4800 was a 1984 Canadian cent. 4801 was a beat Memorial image

I finished with 6 quarters, 2 dimes and 8 cents. Each one (and every one til the end of the year)sets a new record.

Hope the weather holds out.
  • Options
    Dock,

So, if you were disappointed by the GF, what had you hoped to see - or not? Just trying to get a feel for some of the 14K stuff I have found over the years. Jewelry really isn't my thing. Never too old to learn though.

Gary
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    GF translates to about 1.2K. Not worth much.

14K is a bit over 50% pure gold. Easy to sell.
  • Options
    That is a lot of coins. Wow!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WTG, Dock. I wish I had the patience to record each and every coin. Unless they're "keepers", I've never really kept a count like that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Nice work !
    That's a lot of deep knee bends!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Yikes, that's a lot of holes Dock.
    Do you have a face value count also?
  • Options

<< <i>Yikes, that's a lot of holes Dock.
    Do you have a face value count also? >>

I add up the totals here for the monthly polls. I usually don't total it all until the years end.
    During the Calander year 2005 I recovered exactly 4800 coins with my detector.
    Of that total 162 were Foriegn(non-US)
    That leaves 4638 coins with a face value of $294.59.
    I bet this year will be a bit higher. More quarters and 5 dollar coins plus more total coins.
  • Options

<< <i>WTG, Dock. I wish I had the patience to record each and every coin. Unless they're "keepers", I've never really kept a count like that. >>

Participating in the monthly polls here helps.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>WTG, Dock. I wish I had the patience to record each and every coin. Unless they're "keepers", I've never really kept a count like that. >>

Participating in the monthly polls here helps. >>

This year to Nov, my coin count is:4,149
    That adds up to $385.46

Dec. should get me over the $400.00 mark :-)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    You and PPC always slam me on the quarter count.
    I'll be lucky to get to $350 with 5000 coins.
  • Options
    I finished November at 4991. December has been extra cold but Im gonna get out and find 9 more coins if it kills me.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    I can imagine your situation... image

I've kept track of mine on little notes I've stuffed into a jar all year, but won't add them up until year end to avoid going nuts with everything frozen over and needing a coin or two...
    I can imagine Zot carrying buckets of warm water to make tiny detecting spots at a nearby minigolf course, which would probably be my best shot for guaranteed coins in a small area... image

I'm nowhere near your numbers though - probably at 1,500 or so.
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options

<< <i>I finished November at 4991. December has been extra cold but Im gonna get out and find 9 more coins if it kills me. >>

Go get'em Dock!!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Weather forcast called for a foot of snow so I braved the 20 degree temps and did a quick hit at a local school. I had done it in October but we had a warm spell last week so I figured I might get lucky.
    Not lucky enough.....4 coins. By the time I was done the snow was falling.

4995and holding.

Looks like about 6 inches so far. image
  • Options
    Come on Dock. Don't let a little snow stop you. Go, go, go, go, go, go.

Gary
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>I can imagine your situation... image

I've kept track of mine on little notes I've stuffed into a jar all year, but won't add them up until year end to avoid going nuts with everything frozen over and needing a coin or two...
    I can imagine Zot carrying buckets of warm water to make tiny detecting spots at a nearby minigolf course, which would probably be my best shot for guaranteed coins in a small area... image

I'm nowhere near your numbers though - probably at 1,500 or so. >>

Why a minigolf course? I have tons of those by me... and the owners are my aunt/uncle... should I investigate?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I can imagine your situation... image

I'm nowhere near your numbers though - probably at 1,500 or so. >>

Why a minigolf course? I have tons of those by me... and the owners are my aunt/uncle... should I investigate? >>

I was a bit sloppy in my description.. next to the course there's a small booth where they hand out the clubs and balls, sell ice cream etc..
    The booth is surrounded by grass and people drop coins when paying for their rounds and buying refreshments. When I detected there I found a nice bunch of coins in a small area in front of it (only modern stuff of course)
  • Options
    Kinda like the candy stand at the little league.
  • Options
    Mission complete. Got a dozen coins today in a stiff cold wind. Coin number 5000 was a clad dime.

5007 and counting.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We all knew that you would get #5000. When you get close to a number like you had , ya just gotta get it.
  • Options
    Well done!!

Now it's time to start tumblin! image
    imageimage
  • Options
    Congratsimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Well done!!

Now it's time to start tumblin! image >>

I usually tumble in January but this year could be different. I've been on strike since Oct 5th and money is a bit tight right now.image
  • Options
    Congrats Dock on the 5000 + coin year !! and thanks for letting us share the moment !!

Rick
    Touch Not The Cat Bot A Glove !!

Always Looking for Raw Proof Lincoln Cents !!
  • Options
    imageimage