Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

anyone interested in high-end 52 topps Mantle SGC88

I tried and tried to attach the scans of this card for everyone to see unfortunately i am having a heck of a time trying to link it on here. I would love to own the card myself but cannot afford it and a friend of mines father passed in on to her when he passed away and she came to me asking how to go about selling it. I contacted Al Rosen and sent him scans and due to his arrogant nature I declined. She also has a 56 Mantle in PSA 9 aswell. If someone can PM me or email me I will forward the attachments to you if you would be so kind as to post them on here for some of the high end collectors that might be interested in buying these cards as i would really love to see someone from the set registry cross the 52' into a PSA holder to either include or upgrade their existing set. They are both great cards and this was actually the first time i have ever held a high grade 52 Mantle and i must say I was impressed. One of these days i'll own one until then i will leave it to the high end collectors on here! If there isnt an interest i will contact Memory Lane or Goodwin but felt this was the best place to start. thanks again and if nothing else atleast i can post some scans of some high end Mantles for everyone to enjoy.

Jeff

Comments

• Options
    I finally got the 52 attached and will work on the 56 tomorrow. Hope this helps and the SGC cert# number is there if anyone would like to go to the SGC website to confirm this card's authenticity

Jeff
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    What's up with the top of the slab??? Does anyone actually think this is real???
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 824 ✭✭✭
    The slab looks doctored and a reprint inside...be careful people! If I am wrong, sorry.
  • Options
    BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    I'll start the bidding!

$50
  • Options
    There is a PSA 9 from the John Branca collection in the memory lane auction. The starting bid is only 50 grand, but I bet it don't stay that for long.........
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
    (If you want peace, prepare for War).........Semper Fi
  • Options
    .......based on that, I'll up my bid to $75
  • Options
    Guys I am just passing this along, If there isnt an interest she will put it up with one of the auction houses and maybe i'll just advise that she does that for everyones best interest i just figured i would pass it along to fellow registry board members.

thanks,
    Jeff
  • Options
    Jeff it is a beautiful card but way out of some of our price range............
  • Options
    Rob,

Believe me I understand that as it is well out of my price range aswell and i would also be somewhat skeptical as these cards are so rare,let alone in this grade and in all of my years collecting had never seen one in person above a PSA 5 until now. I asked her to take a picture of the card with a note saying collectors universe or something to that effect for the other members of the board and I will also post that along with the '56 topps PSA 9 when i get back from Thanksgiving with the family. thank you all for those that PM'ed me with advice and suggestions as a card like this is way out of my league but i knew i would get alot of possitive feedback from members on here as far as which direction to go with the card so she gets fair market value out of the card.

thanks again and best wishes,
    Jeff
  • Options
    Jeff, have a great Thanksgiving.....
  • Options
    How about explaining why the holder is completely frosted around the edges and the card WAY to glossy?

While you are at it, since you are a brand new member, what is your name and phone #. We are curious!!!
  • Options
    David,

To answer your question i am not a new member, i have been a registered member here for about 2 years and have 3 sets registered on the set registry and i would be more than happy to give you my phone number if you would like to call and chat. As far as the holder is concerned I have no clue other than the fact that i resized the scans she sent me to put them on the board but i am more than happy to email you the original scans if you would like to open them up and look closer at them. Feel free to PM me and i will send you my phone number and a pic!

Jeff
  • Options

<< <i>As far as the holder is concerned I have no clue other than the fact that i resized the scans she sent me to put them on the board but i am more than happy to email you the original scans if you would like to open them up and look closer at them. Feel free to PM me and i will send you my phone number and a pic! >>

Rather than e-mailing or PM'ing pics, why don't you just re-post them in this thread for all to see? As its stands right now, the odds are heavy in favor of tampered SGC case with reprint inside. There's a lot of smart guys on this board...not that it took a lot of smarts to spot this one.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Same card on Yahoo

Link to Yahoo Auction
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Why does SGC not state on the label that the card is in fact a reprint ???

Very poor judgement on SGC's part ! The seller in the Yahoo auction does say the card is a replica.

There is no problem in getting nice reprints evaluated and encapsulated, if the seller clearly lets potential buyer know the card is not original.
    There's no way a company like SGC could have been fooled and does think the card is an original 1952 Topps, is there ???

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Good investigative work, DRS, to expose this fraud.

The card is clearly a replica.

The holder may be legit, but appears to have been tampered with. I suspect the real card was removed.
    Capecards
  • Options
    Now hopefully this jackass will go back under the rock he crawled out from. Scam artists are the lowest of the low.
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Good try Jeff
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    What a turkey!

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Do most think the card was actually switched into a slab, the label / flip being printed or a stolen one, thus real tampering with an existing SGC slab ??

Or do you feel the image was altered, and the original SGC slab photo was just adjusted, altered, cropped, or whatever, to poduce a false picture of a 52 Mantle in a SGC holder ??

• Options
    This thread was just brought to my attention via a PM so i will list her email address and she can send you the exact information and scans she sent me as I was only trying to put her in touch with possible buyers as the scan sure looked legit to me. So should any of you have questions or concerns feel free to email her directly at tha503girl@hotmail.com.

I dont appreciate anyone calling me a scammer in the least, i just made the mistake of posting this openly asking for advice,questions and concerns. I don't believe she would have any reason to lie to me concerning a baseball card she knows little to nothing about but you are all more than welcome to email her directly and ask her for a scan or anyother questions/concerns you might have. I still have a very hard time believing this is a reprint but i will await her response either way and you are all more than welcome to email Martha directly and ask her.

Jeff
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2019 9:09PM
  • Options
    Just posting to keep this near the top, so others may read it.
    And of course form their own opinions.

Lots of great people in this hobby, but a few to be very cautious with.

• Options

<< <i> So should any of you have questions or concerns feel free to email her directly at tha503girl@hotmail.com.

Jeff >>

maybe if her email was " tha707girl" we would believe you! image
  • Options
    Go directly to jail...do not pass go!

"M Her" <tha503girl@hotmail.com>
    X-Originating-IP: [65.54.246.176]

I have a 52 Mantle SGC 88 and yes I have a digital camera, I'm asking
    $20,000 but I'm also taking offers.
    God Bless,
    Martha
  • Options
    David,

Another Photo for you my friend. I sent you my information as well as my phone number, what a surprise you didnt call concerning the card or any questions you might have had. If there are members of this board that are serious and would like supersized pics of the card as well as the holder with the authentication number to check for yourself i am more than happy to email those to you. Simply put i was trying to help a friend sell this card to a reputable buyer. I know there are alot of great members on this board but a select few of you have surprised me with your replies. I am not sure there is much more i can do although anyone that wishes to view the card live and in person is more than welcome to contact her as she would be more than happy to let you view the card in person before purchasing the card.

Jeff
  • Options
    last one.......................
  • Options
    Jeff.....
    Look....if the card is real terrific. Stick it on the NET54 board like I told you. Those guys over there are pretty smart and will know what they are or aren't looking at. The better option if it is real would be to get it to a consigner and put it in one of the major auctions, I'm sure if thats the case it would fetch more than 20k anyway. Posting a card that expensive here, be it you may be honest or playing a joke (why I don't know) is obviously not the best idea imo.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Jeff,
    If that is a real Mickey Mantle card in an SGC 88 holder and the card has not been tampered with, please let her know that I am interested and would like to make an offer and pick the card up in person. Martha can contact me at shaneleo@aol.com.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    I am too intersted in seeing that card in person and would be willing to pay in excess of the 20K asking price if its the real deal.

Please have Martha email me at jeej67@hotmail.com if she would like to set up a mutually convenient location for a meeting.

Thanks!
    Buyer and Seller of PSA graded Baseball Cards from 1900-1980.

Check out my ebay auctions listed under seller ID: jeej
  • Options
    The holder has more frost then a box of frosted flakes!
  • Options
    If anyone is interested, email me and I will send you a scan of her 1956 Topps PSA 9 card referred to in the first post to this thread (I don' t know how to post it here).

I was told the the card was acquired from her late father - however, the card is registered to an "alive and well" member of the 1956 Topps PSA Registry!!

Jim - you still want to fly to Oregon? Maybe you and I fly South and play a round of golf instead.

• Options
    Hi David,

Heck no I don't want to fly to Oregon.....how about we meet in Bermuda and take a look at the card at the 19th hole.

I will play you heads up for both of "her" Mantles!

Regards,

Jim
    Buyer and Seller of PSA graded Baseball Cards from 1900-1980.

Check out my ebay auctions listed under seller ID: jeej
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    Jeff - if you are involved in this deal in some way, or if you really think you are helping a damsel in distress, I strongly suggest you distance yourself ASAP. This phantom SGC88 Mantle and the companion 1952 and 1956 PSA 9's is a scam and I have 100% proof. If you are directly involved you're heading for trouble.

David & Jim - don't go buying those plane tickets to Oregon just yet. image

A friend of mine had a rather lengthy exchange with "Martha", asked for my advice on the deal and began to forward me all the the correspondence between them. He asked me if I wanted in but right from the start things were too fishy.

Here are some facts.

- "Martha" claims to have a PSA 9 1952 #311 Mantle along with the SGC 88. You get this information if you ask her if she has any other cards. She will respond that she has the two Mantles plus a 1956 PSA 9 as well. Seems her late father only collected three cards and apparently cards that belong to other people at that.

- Friend forwards picture she sent (fuzzy digital camera pics) of the PSA 9 to me - I check the cert with PSA and lo and behold, it's registered as a 5, not a 9. If you check the 2nd link in Arachinator's post above "Martha" so much as admits to having a 5. Either the picture or the flip on the card was altered. I'm pretty sure myself it was Photoshopped.

- Friend decides to see if she'll deal. She says she has an $80K offer but the deal fell through because the buyer couldn't get a loan. They agree on $50K for the three cards - I warn friend to only meet in public, preferably at his bank, and bring a hired heavy. Many email exchanges from "Martha" saying I won't meet in person, I have my reasons. First tries for PayPal, then realizes that she can't accept that much money in her account, then says she'll do COD. Friend holds firm to in person dealing only so deal kind of stalls.

If anyone is interested I will be happy to post the full chronology and links to other evidence that this is a fraud, I don't want to take up bandwith if no one wants to hear the full story. Unfortunately it seems there is nothing that can be done until an actual fraud is committed.
  • Options
    Moose:

I would be interested in seeing the exchange. Feel free to email it to me.

I received 3 scans from "Martha" and the cert of the '56 Topps was registered to an "alive and well" registry member (per Cosetta). Interestingly, the Cert # is no longer valid (so I am a bit confused). The '56 Topps cert # per the scan is 08121713.

I have had a few discussions with Jeff. He appears to be a decent fellow. I am told that he found Martha's add selling the SGC 88 card on craigslist.com, could not afford to buy the card himself, and offered to assist "Martha" in selling the card (no fee being paid to Jeff).

I too think it would be wise for Jeff to distance himself from this matter.

• Options
    Ok........now I'm lowering my initial offer to $25.75
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I think this " Martha " person should be reported to her local police department, along with copies of this post, her craigslist post, and every email correspondance.

Only in the world of collectibles can felonies be ignored to such a degree.

And to Jeff,

I dont know you, and you may be a decent guy trying to help someone out, but you really should be more careful who you choose to help out. You could end up getting caught in the middle of something really dangerous here.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Jeff (wyldeoneguru): 360-870-7536

This was Jeff's message to me:

'Your not a bright one are you. Its very unfortunate our hobby is soured with individuals such as yourself. Next time i suggest you call with questions or concerns my friend, you have made yourself look like quite foolish, next time you should express your questions and concerns in a different light. Jeff'

I have news for you Jeff, if it was not for individuals like myself, people like you would (help) steal $25,000+ and tarnish this great hobby!

I think you have some explaining to do...
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Archinator, actually it's people like yourself that are helping the hobby to try and keep the scum of the earth away. If anyone has a problem with someone questioning sketchy authentication, they don't deserve to be in the hobby.
  • Options
    Actually there are only 2 SGC 88 out there and I have one of them in my possession which is now a 7.5. As far as SGC is concerned both were graded wrongly and are both 7.5. Both 8.0/88 were in the OLD SGC holders. None were graded in the new holder which is what Jeff is showing. Whoever buys this, don't be fooled as it is 100% fake. Whoever doesn't believe this, call SGC and they will stand by it. There site has not been updated as far as this change goes showing both 8.0s.