Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

French coin in the movie "Idlewild"

What was the French coin on Rooster's liquor flask? I think it might have been a fantasy -- a crown-sized rendering of the gold 20 francs in silver.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno the answer to your question, not having seen the movie, but I like your icon coin. I think that is ajaan's old crown. If I recall correctly, there was once a time when I could've owned that particular piece if I'd had the $$$.

Howdy, Dentuck- I think I recognize your name from eBay. Might've even bought a coin or two from you in times past. Maybe back when I was building that Irish predecimal set? Hm.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure where my icon hails from originally... I selected it from the drop-down list when I signed up. I guess I should update to something of my own!

LordM, I do believe we might have done some business in the past. I'll have to check my records when I get back to the home office.

As for Idlewild, I went to see it to support some local boys gone big (Outkast). It's a fun movie, and the trippy talking flask-coin was a neat bonus for a numismatist.

Yes indeed... a talking coin.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think that is ajaan's old crown >>

Change 'is' to 'was' and you are correct.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Sure was a beauty. Did you have it with you when we were at 2004 FUN, Don? I can't remember if I ever saw it in person or not.

PS- sorry to derail the "Idlewild" thread. I'll watch the movie if I get a chance.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    LOL... no problem.

A talking coin!... that's all I'm saying. A talking early-1900s French coin. What more endorsement does a film need?
  • Options
    I doesn't sound like that damn candlestick in Disney's Beauty & The Beast, does it?

That would be creepy.

On second thought, it might be entertaining.

Non-numismatic trivia note: Lumiere the talking candlestick was played by the late Jerry Orbach, of Law & Order fame. How a guy from the Bronx ended up playing a talking French candlestick is beyond me, but it kinda worked out. Except now I have that "Be Our Guest" song stuck in my head. Gaah.

(Wife and 5-yr-old daughter are B&TB fans, so I've been subjected to the DVD more times than I can count.)