Home Stamps Forum
Options

Question about selling stamp collection

I am a new member with a question about stamp collections. My father recently passed away and left an extension stamp collection. He has stamps in sleeves in books and old post-marked stamps that go back many years. How would I go about selling this collection without getting ripped off? I went to one stamp show in my area and they were not much help. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    How many dealers did you show it to at the show? If several and none were interested, then it probably means not a lot of value there. I would "shop" it around several stamp dealers if you have some in your area. If you can get a copy of the Scott catalogs, that would help. Some libraries have them. Catalog value means nothing though when selling, but will give you an idea if you want to keep it and get it insured.

If you can post some pics here, some of us will let you know if its a high-value collection. Dealers and collectors can guesstimate by looking at a few and that will usually tell a person what the rest of the collection is like. Kind of like coins; if a person has key dates in nice shape, then the collection is probably pretty nice. Show some of the early US or foreign if you can.
  • Options
    Doug, thanks for the reply. I just happened to drive by a locallshow and went in without having any of our stamps. I spoke with two collectors who gave me their card and and I will be in touch with them. They both told me boxes of post-marked stamps sold by the pound.
    I will take pictures of some of the stamps and post them soon. Thanks again.
  • Options
  • Options
    So sorry for the blank post, I was attempting to attach pictures and failed. After going through his collection, it appears he was involved in some kind of stamp club where he got them periodically. They came from the Philatelic Sales Division and the U.S. Post Office.
    The stamps are .29 Elvis, .32 Marilyn Monroe, .22 Presidents of the U.S., States in the U.S., old movies, Olympics and a lot of animals and flowers
    Again, sorry.
  • Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Most of the US stamps you mentioned are considered modern and worth about face value. Many people still use them for postage. If some of the sets are in books from the USPS, then you probably have mint sets. Some of these are worth more than the stamps themselves, but you usually have to go back to the 1970s and you also have to have someone who collects mint sets.

There are very few US stamps since 1930s that are worth much. Usually one needs to get into the 19th century for higher valued stuff.
  • Options
    Thank you Doug for your help. I think I understand now and will see what I can do. Thanks again.
  • Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    You're welcome. Ask as many questions as you wish.