Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

3 pence and florins

Here are some english coins I found in some junk I got the other day. I dont know anything at all about darkside coins. Any opinions or suggestions about what I have ?
All help greatly appreciated.image
I know they are dirty but Im afraid to clean them .I also dont know how to safely remove the gunk.
Molon Labe

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Here are some english coins I found in some junk I got the other day. I dont know anything at all about darkside coins. Any opinions or suggestions about what I have ?
    All help greatly appreciated.image
    I know they are dirty but Im afraid to clean them .I also dont know how to safely remove the gunk. >>

You have quite a few .925 silver pieces there and a few .500 silver. Generally anything 1920 or older on coins issued for use in Great Britain or I think 1943 or older Australia/N.Z. will be sterling. After that silver content drops to .500. Canada used .800 silver on their silver issues, although I believe some very early pieces used a higher standard. Coins from other parts of the empire vary from place to place as to when they reduced the silver content of their coins. Don't try cleaning them. Odds are you'll just end up damaging them. British empire coins are fun because there are so many of them from so many different parts of the world and represent so much history. You'll never get bored if that is what you are setting out to collect.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I was also looking at some large pennies I got. The dates range from 1915 to 1932. I also have a 1943 penny from australia and a penny that reads Commwealth of Australia dated 1932. These things are really interesting. I have a couple of dozen coins from around the world .
    Molon Labe
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you have there is pretty typical circulated material, but it's silver.

Silver is good.

Darkside is good.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Lordmarcovan, I have one of those 3 pence pieces that is holed. Interested in putting it on your vest ? Let me know your address and I;ll send it to you if you want.
    Molon Labe
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi! Was that you who emailed me about a 1916 holey threepence?

I don't collect post-1900 holeys, and I think I have a few threepence on the Holey Coin Vest anyway, but if the offer stands, I will gratefully accept, and put the coin on my keychain. I often do this with the post-1900 stuff people send me, and I redistribute the keychain coins to other folks who express an interest in them.

My snailmail address was in the email I replied to, but if that wasn't you, then shoot me a PM.

I appreciate it! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.