Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

World Coin Registry Sets

Hi Everyone,

We're starting to build some new World Coin sets to add to the PCGS Set Registry. If you have a particular country or series of coins you would like to see built, please let us know. We have our own ideas as to what might be popular, but we'd also like to hear from you, as well. Pick sets or countries that will appeal to as broad a base of collectors as possible...we want to build sets where people will actually participate.

Many thanks,
Ron Guth
President
PCGS CoinFacts - the Internet Encyclopedia of U.S. Coins
www.CoinFacts.com

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Will there be weenie coins?

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    USCGCraigUSCGCraig Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
    Weenie coins would be cool.

How about the gold 10 and 20 Kroners from Denmark circa 1860's to 1918's?
    Coast Guard Craig

Looking for Denmark 1874 20-Kroner. Please offer.
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭
    Ron,

I have posted this before but I think that some additions to the Canadian cents might be in order. I would change the Victorian cent series around a little. First, I would delete the W9/8, the brass cent, DP1, DP2, and the 1891 varieties from the basic set. I would add those coins and the Obverse 1, 2, 3 and 4 varietes (as listed in Charlton) to obtain a "with varieties" set. This seems to me to be more consistent with what PCGS has done with U.S. cents.

The other Victorian sets from Canada are ripe for this as well.

Rob
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    Not sure how wide the collector base is but I have an uncirculated set of pre WWII Lithuanian coins. I havn't sent them in for grading yet but a registry set would motivate me. image
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swiss 1F coins. MS and SP.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    German states bavarian kreuzers

Jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swiss registry. Type and denomination sets.
  • Options
    started a kreuzer "showcase" set-with pic
    world coins
    Krazy 4 Kreuzers

Jim

• Options
    Pick sets or countries that will appeal to as broad a base of collectors as possible...we want to build sets where people will actually participate.

Hello Coin King:

If you want more Registry Sets, one simple solution would be to unblock the US-Philippine coins, which are currently buried under "Private issues and Territorial Gold" neither of which have any relationship to the US-Philippines series.

In most denominations of US coins, PCGS has more (and better) registry sets than NGC. But in the US Philippines, I think if you'll take a minute and check 'em out, you'll find that denomination by denomination, they have more sets listed than you. Why? Simply because they give these coins their own proper place in sun, while PCGS foolishly persists in burying them in a totally incompatible category. Indeed, even though I am a dedicated collector of these coins, I would never have found your Registry Sets for them had not a friend told me where to look.

Yet, despite this handicap, there are more Registry Set entries for the US Philippine coins than for Shield Nickels (either proof or business strikes) ... many times more registry sets than for the Japanese series which has a straightforward listing of its own ... and more Registry Set entries for 16 other categories of US coins.

They are surely one of the top 10 series in popularity, with a devoted (and fanatic) collector base. Why don't you just give them a separate listing like the US patterns?

Best wishes,

Just Having Fun

Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are many ideas that could work... for example:

German States... one coin from each state... which could be done

Italian States... same as above

British Monarch type sets... I imagine this has been suggested

Mexico type set

Type set by century for specific counties... and let folks suggest
    countries...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>There are many ideas that could work... for example:

German States... one coin from each state... which could be done

Italian States... same as above

Mexico type set

Type set by century for specific counties... and let folks suggest
    countries... >>

I love your german states ideaimage

Jim

• Options
    One last thought about the US-Philippine series: You've actually set up the Registry Sets fairly well. Oh, they can be improved here and there, but to the collector, yours sets are much better than NGC's. Yours are set up the way collectors collect. Theirs aren't. So, unlike all these other suggestions, many of which I like, you don't have to do any more thinking to increase your Registry Set listings in the US-Philippines. All you need to do to get more Registry Set business on these sets is to open them to public view, with a separate listing, just like NGC does.

Warm regards,

Just Having Fun
    Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options
    Having the Philippine catagory listed under "Private Issues and Territorial Gold" makes no sense at all. Justhavingfun is right about this. It would be nice to see a catagory for Spanish/Philippine gold.
  • Options

Would be nice, but then for those monarchs that had long reigns you get into the whole 1st portrait, 2nd portrait, etc.

I wouldn't mind seeing UK mint sets as this would be a fairly easy one since the production of mint sets didn't really get going until 1982.
    1st You Suck - 04/07/05 - Thanks MadMarty!

Happy Rock Wrens

You're having delusions of grandeur again. - Susan Ivanova
    Well, if you're gonna have delusions, may as well go for the really satisfying ones. - Marcus Cole