Home Metal Detecting
Options

Nov06finds

The first three pics are from Sunday 19.
A couple people here have questioned in the past about what my trash pouch looks like after a hunt. I usually dump everything in one of my 5 gallon buckets anytime I make it back to my van. This time I decided to leave everything in the pouch for the full 5 hour 3 site hunt. It got a little heavy, but it shows what a slightly above average days hunt will bring.

Here's everthing(minus about 10 beer cans)

and here are the keepers
form left to right
Large flat button....medium rounded eagle button... King George(facing left) half penny1930s date worn...and what looks like the adjustment thing on one of my guitar straps. Could be from musket sling.

Back of eagle button.

The rest are from other hunts in November. There was more, but I put them in one of my older olive oil jars and they kinda got mixed in with older finds(Yeh, I called myself a bonehead...and moved on).

Buttons

Close ups

Any ideas? Campaign button from 1840?

Scovills&CO 1840-1850 backmark link

3 V nickels from the same hole.

1837 US one cent

Comments

• Options
    Nice Tim. image

For some reason a movie quote popped in my head after reading/viewing your post... You ever see Bill Murray in Stripes? "You're a mad man. I wanna party with you." haha!

I've seen the log cabin button before... I seem to remember it's a significant button but I don't remember the details. May be best relic for the month. Hope someone helps you ID it...
  • Options
    I think you are right about the button being from Harrisons 1840 campaign

Linky

• Options
    Awesome find's Phut!!

Took a look in my button book and saw it in Albert's button book under The Van Buren and Harrison campaign of 1840 and I believe it is button number 146A on pg 428

This is what it say's about it:
    Log cabin with barrel and smoking chimney;2-piece with border.
    Chimney with small amount of smoke."R&W Robinson" and eagle;21mm.RV 15
    Couldn't tell what the back mark is but this look's like your button.Will double check it in the morning.HH,Tom
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do believe that campaign button is worth some $$$. Congratulations!

That's a very early eagle button, too. Maybe from around the same era. Interesting that it was imported. I think the early one-piece convex eagles like that are from the 1820s. I found one outside of Charleston, SC. It didn't have the stars surrounding, like yours, but it had an Artillery "A" on the shield. (But it was one-piece convex, and definitely pre-Civil War. I think Albert's placed it in the late 1820s, if I recall correctly).

Loditom obviously has an Albert book. Tom, can you find his eagle button, too? If not, I will have to shovel through some piles of junk around here and see if I can find my own copy of the book (if I didn't loan it to somebody).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Very sweet finds. Congrats.
  • Options
    LM I found the button and I believe your right on the date,from what I can gather it would be between 1812-1820.

Here is what Albert's say's about it:

Militia;1-piece convex
    Device,an eagle facing right with 17 five pointed stars encircling."Best Quality/London"rm;plated;20mm.RV10

it's on page 34 and is #67.HH,Tom
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Cool!! Thanks for the infoimage
    Looks like I need to invest in a couple more books.
  • Options
    Tim- consider yourself "Albertized"! image

I gave the seller the address I had in PM history for you, as of last year or so (POB 71), so if it has changed let me know soon so I can amend that.

If anybody else wants the "button bible", W&ET Bookmart has it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    you did well. WTG!
  • Options
    Great work Tim!

I love the buttons!

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Looks like a dream site to me! I'd happily dig several times that amount of trash for those buttons...

Great finds as always! That 1840 campaign button looks great, and I really like those eagle buttons too. image
    That's a massive flat button on the left in your first keeper picture image

To sum it up:
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    A couple more finds from this weekend.

Mass Volunteer Militia button

1876 US dime
  • Options
    Nice follow-up Tim!

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Cool finds! I love the campaign button.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options

• Options
    From buttons to buckles in three seconds flat.

This is in great shape for being around 300 years old. It was moving freely as soon as I popped it out of the dirt.
  • Options
    Dude, those are some sweet buckles... the kind to make relic hunters salivate. All early ones!

• Options
    My God, Tim! image That is one heck of a load of finds. image

Gary
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>..the kind to make relic hunters salivate >>

Me too. image

Thanks Gary.