Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

OT: eBay buyer wants to pay via acct transfer?

Maybe OT, but I have a question about transactions on eBay. I sold a fairly low dollar coin to a buyer in Estonia - $23.20. I clearly state my payment terms: paypal/check/money order/cash (at your own risk). The buyer send me this message:

"Please send me your account numbers (iban, swift codes) then i can make moneytransfer"

In 400+ auctions, I have never had a buyer ask to pay in this manner. Something about it does not feel right. Am I being unrealistic, or is this a common way to get payments?

Comments

• Options
    Not in the US. The IBAN-BIC system is for transfering money throughout European banks. It is common for German sellers/buyers to use this form of payment, but the US banks are not in the program. (I have a friend in Germany who will accept my PayPal payments, and transfer the money for me to sellers who don't use PP. It's quicker and cheaper than mailing an international money order)
    I'm not afraid to die
    I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it

• Options
    Don't do it. The sister of a friend of mine had $15,000.00 wired from her account to a bank in Latvia without her knowledge or consent. Once they have the codes, they can make fraudulent wires from their end and clean you out.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Even it is legitimate, your bank may charge you anywhere from $5 to $30 to accept the wire transfer, depending on where it originates from, the currency it is in, etc.

I wouldn't touch it...
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Refuse wire transfers as your bank will likely hit you with a big fee.

A Western Union money transfer will work because you get the cash on the spot and don't get hit with any fees.
    I don't know if you can get them from Estonia.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    Don't do it. I remember(not too long ago) that Latvia was the center of huge defrauding schemes involving bank accounts and credit cards. I know this is from Estonia, but the Baltic states are full of this.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    SCAM!!!!!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    If he doesn't follow the auction rules as to payment methods, submit a non-paying bidder form.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If he doesn't follow the auction rules as to payment methods, submit a non-paying bidder form. >>

It's really as simple as this. He's not playing by the rules.

That aside, though, I'm not sure there is much cause for panic. Wire transfer sounds impressive in America, but in Europe, like Kuhli said, it is probably the most used method of payment. There are scammers out there, but we can't really act like our usual methods are immune either--PayPal, anyone? The biggest concern using it here is the fee involved.

If you're really in the mood to experiment, prod him further to gauge his seriousness and use a dealer friend overseas to help process it.

And, yes, he can use Western Union, though I think he'll have to find an agent location to send from, and then there are fees for him. Or, if you're really brave, you can ask for cash image
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    It will undoubtedly cost you more in bank fees than the coin is worth.
    I'd request the buyer to perform according to your auction terms. If for some legitimate reason he can't, I'd just write it off and relist the coin.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

I'd make the buyer stick to your original auction terms. If he can't, then file a non-paying bidder form and either relist it or try offering it to the next highest bidder, if applicable.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Account transfer is very common and very cheap in Europe, but your bank will sock you with a hefty fee to receive the money.

Tell him the fees are too high from your end, and to send you cash sent by registered mail. Registered mail is generally a very safe way to send cash to / from Europe.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Many thanks everybody! I referred him back to my payment options, and I am awaiting a response. Better safe than sorry.
    -Brent