Home Metal Detecting
Options

Is this dectector of high quality?

Metal Detector

Or is it just expensive?

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Metal Detector Or is it just expensive? >>

It is well worth $200 ! ! ! You have about 15 min. to bid !!!!!

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What he said. Looks like it was worth the winning bid. (Were you the person who bid?)

One thing that makes me wonder, however, is that the seller used a stock photo which of course tells us nothing about this used machine's condition. In fact, nothing about the machine's age and/or condition was specified, until somebody had to email him a question. He did make the Q&A public and revealed that the machine is at least five years old. If lightly used and well kept, that shouldn't be a problem, but he could've been a little more clear about it up front.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I was not the winning bidder. I am still looking. Now that the weather is getting colder, I may put it on hold. Unless some veterns can give me some insight as to how much better they do in cold weather then in warm.
  • Options
    Well, I tend to prefer cold weather to warm, but that's because here in SE coastal GA our winters tend to be milder (we're only 70 miles north of the FL line), and our summers tend to be long, steamy, hellish affairs.

Nothing stopped me from going out in winter weather when I lived in the NC mountains- I even went in the snow a few times (I was diehard back then). But once the ground froze up on me and I had to wait until spring. Frozen red clay is all but impossible to deal with.

Use the winter to shop and read up on detectors and research local sites and daydream. Also, if you are buying a new detector, take advantage of the Christmas specials many of the distributors offer.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    How much do detectors usually go for?
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
    (If you want peace, prepare for War).........Semper Fi
  • Options

<< <i>How much do detectors usually go for? >>

From $20.00 to over $4,000.00 ! ! !
    Go to EBay.com http://electronics.search.ebay.com/metal-detector_Handheld-Units_W0QQsacatZ67774

Get a look at that

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    What makes the 4K ones different from the others? I am curious because due to the Civil War artifacts in our area I have recently considered purchasing one.........
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
    (If you want peace, prepare for War).........Semper Fi
  • Options
    $4K?

Geez.

For basic coinshooting, there is no need to spend more than $1K on a detector. Really, there's no need to spend that much if you don't want to. A $200 machine is sufficient, and a $400 machine is good. Beyond that, it's all a question of how many bells-n'-whistles you want.

For relic hunting, you don't even need that sophisticated of a detector. Just something that goes deep enough- a lot of the relic hunters here don't even have ID meters on their machines and seldom use much, if any discrimination. Just enough to knock out small iron targets. Many $200 detectors with a decent-sized coil will do just fine for relic hunting.

• Options
    Buying a Good Metal Detector is like buying cold medicine, to many to choose from. I must give you my opinion from experience.

I started detecting when I was 12, my dad bought me a cheap $20(or less) detector from Radio Shack. I ran around the neighborhood shortly after Christmas when the ground was froze but no snow and found trash and .37 cents, a quarter, dime and 2 pennies and then it broke. Damn, first time out. 13 years later after the silver boom with the Hunt Brothers I decided to get back into it. I traded a 1971 125CC Yamaha road bike for 2 detectors. One was a gray machine sold by Sears and the other was a Whites 6000D.
    The guy I traded these from, his son knew some spots to do so we set out to metal detecting and looking for better places to do. We ended up at this deserted bar about 5 miles from Penn. state line but still in N.Y., the grass was high, I walked around the building looking for my friend and all of a sudden I hear, beep! beep! beep! and see him next door on this resort, bungalows all over and a baseball field. He was finding silver coins one after another, a real virgin spot.

To make a long story short, I've been digging since,

The year after I bought a Whites 6000 DI Series 3, I heard it was really good on finding GOLD! Cost me $631.00 in 1985, That has the meter that tells you what is in the ground with a 90-95% accuracy. No Kidding! That paid for itself that year, I found over $100. face value silver and 1 gold ring. It took about 6 months to really get used to the way it worked, then I could tell an indian head penny before I dug it.

Then, I bought the Whites 6000DI Pro(used $370.),
    Whites Eagle II(bought at Fairfax,Va for $770.),
    1992 Whites Eagle Spectrum($671.) and
    I now have the Whites DFX(used on Ebay for $700. a whole new breed of detector)
    I had a Fischer 1265X (costs $350 from Kellyco, sold it)a great machine but you have to dig it all.
    I also have a Troy Custom Detector,
    the Shadow X2, weighs 2 lbs and performs well(costs $425 at the New England Treasure Show in Keene New Hampshire, got to meet Ed Fedory, writer for Eastern/Western Treasure magazine) also a "beep and dig machine" a keeper.

I am a die hard detectorists, Whites works for me...........