Home Metal Detecting
Options

Wow, I want to start detecting!

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
I collect modern coins, mostly, but the US mint has really left me feeling like a sheep on the way to the fleecing lately. I found an old wheat penny under a stair landing at my parent's farmhouse and it set my heart racing-- all over a VG 1944 cent. image

I'm sure it's been asked a million times, but I do have access to do some salt-water beach hunting in CA-- what's a good beginner detector? I plan to use it for a beach detector about 30% of the time. My primary interest is silver coins.
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    >>do some salt-water beach hunting in CA<<

Hello, What part of CA are you in?

$250 to $500 would get a good unit=NEW.
    Used--You can get Top of the line units for $600 to $800.

I would find a local dealer and see what he has.

Many of us have more than one detector. We have backup units and one for the kids or friend when needed.

Jerry
    Oxnard CA
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Salt-sand hunting presents more challenges, but as previously mentioned, most (decent) entry-level detectors will start in about the $200 range, new, and you can get a top of the line machine for as little as $600-800 if you shop around. You could even spend $1,000 for a metal detector, but there's no need for that, particularly for a novice. I did pretty well with middle of the line, $300-400 machines for the last decade and a half. Just got my first top of the line machine this summer.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>>>do some salt-water beach hunting in CA<<

Hello, What part of CA are you in?

$250 to $500 would get a good unit=NEW.
    Used--You can get Top of the line units for $600 to $800.

I would find a local dealer and see what he has.

Many of us have more than one detector. We have backup units and one for the kids or friend when needed.

Jerry
    Oxnard CA >>

I'm in Sunnyvale, CA, near the SF beaches...

I never thought of getting one used, but that's a good idea... I bet a lot have only been lightly used.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

<< <i>Salt-sand hunting presents more challenges, but as previously mentioned, most (decent) entry-level detectors will start in about the $200 range, new, and you can get a top of the line machine for as little as $600-800 if you shop around. You could even spend $1,000 for a metal detector, but there's no need for that, particularly for a novice. I did pretty well with middle of the line, $300-400 machines for the last decade and a half. Just got my first top of the line machine this summer. >>

Thank you, M'Lord.. I've enjoyed reading about your exploits; you're one of the reasons I'm looking at getting one.
  • Options
    I can't speak much for its performance on salt water beaches, but I do have a used Garrett GTAx-550 for sale or trade.

I never used it on our beaches. In my brief beach hunting career, I used a fully-submersible Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, which was a great machine.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    PS- I found THE coin with the Fisher 1280-X, though I wasn't on the beach at the time.

• Options
    WOW! That was quite a find! I am starting to get interested in this metal detecting thing. I am sure that Oklahoma has some great spots to detect. Great stuff!!!
    Hey, Im new at this so cut me some slack!!
  • Options

>I'm in Sunnyvale, CA, near the SF beaches...

Hi. I'm in the Los Altos area (not far from you at all). Maybe we could do Half Moon Bay together.