Home Sports Talk
Options

MVP Ryan Howard!!

1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
At least Philly fans got something this year!

collecting various PSA and SGC cards

Comments

• Options
    Congrats to him, he was a big reason the Phils hung in there so long. Makes ya wonder though how much Albert's time on the DL cost him, his totals would have been much better then they were, maybe he'd be celebrating his 2nd MVP today.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Well deserved if you ask me...single handedly carried that team into the postseason chase, especially after Phils management traded Abreu and essentially gave up on the season.

Pujols had a great year, but Howard was more valuable. Now let's see if they get the AL right and give it to a Morneau or Mauer.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Get ready for the AL MVP whinefest
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pujols produced 207 Runs in 2006 26.5% of Team total
    Howard produced 195 Runs 22.5%
    K's Howard 181 Pujols 50
    OBA% Howard .425 Pujols .431
    SLUG% Howard .659 Pujols .671
    BA% Howard .313 Pujols .331
    Errors Howard 14 Pujols 6

Howard avg w/ RISP was (I think) .256. And the late inning press, Howard batted only .267.

Next, look at Pujols’ statistics when the game was on the line. Runners in scoring position: .397; with two outs: .435; with bases loaded: .375; and late inning press: .348. They are all higher than Howard’s by far.

Plus, Pujols missed nearly a month.

Shows what the writers know. Howard got it because of 58 home runs. Period. Howard had a great year, but Pujols picked the entire team up and put them on his shoulders while the were kicking and screaming saying, "We dont' want to go to the playoffs", and he said, "Oh, yes we are!"

Shane

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't have argued with Pujols getting it. Great to see Howard get it though.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Congrats to Howard. He or Albert could have won it and I wouldn't have had any problem with it.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I agree, a very deserving choice. Hope the AL voters also vote for the right guy and Jeter wins it. Should be very close though.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Pujols produced 207 Runs in 2006 26.5% of Team total
    Howard produced 195 Runs 22.5%
    K's Howard 181 Pujols 50
    OBA% Howard .425 Pujols .431
    SLUG% Howard .659 Pujols .671
    BA% Howard .313 Pujols .331
    Errors Howard 14 Pujols 6

Howard avg w/ RISP was (I think) .256. And the late inning press, Howard batted only .267.

Next, look at Pujols’ statistics when the game was on the line. Runners in scoring position: .397; with two outs: .435; with bases loaded: .375; and late inning press: .348. They are all higher than Howard’s by far.

Plus, Pujols missed nearly a month.

Shows what the writers know. Howard got it because of 58 home runs. Period. Howard had a great year, but Pujols picked the entire team up and put them on his shoulders while the were kicking and screaming saying, "We dont' want to go to the playoffs", and he said, "Oh, yes we are!" >>

Well Said! heres another way to look at it.......Phils missed the playoffs by 1 game, Howard only batted .267 with RISP and 2 outs, if he had batted a little better (closer to his .300) then the Phils would have won a few more games, and they would have made the playoffs......Howard was not valuable enough...The Cards, on the other hand made the playoffs by 1 game, Pujols batted over.400 with RISP and 2 outs, he clearly won then many games with this monstrous average (he won the 1 game the Cards needed during their losing streak to get them in the playoffs) this is the defintion of most valuable......

Figures these are the same idiots (writers tend to be nonathletic and have jock envy) who voted BAROID FRIGGIN BONDS MVP 4 times.....morons..........They must have something Against Pujols, a true natural athletic Phenom from age 6 seoond only to Babe Ruth in Baseball aptitude...Pujols have finished top 3 in MVP 6 years in a row!

These are the same Writers that screwed Mattingly in 1986 by giving the Most Valuable Player to a pitcher!!! MORONS, Pitchers have their reward, its called CY YOUNG
    Tom Verducci MVP article in sports Illustrated was a great article, too bad more writes dont vote like him......
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Close call between Howard & Puljos. I thought Puljos would eke out a win but it's hard to argue that Howard was not deserving, either. The Phillies are 15 games under .500 without him in the lineup.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    No problem with howard winning and fandango i sure as he11 would not bet my life pujols is clean.
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    What was Babe Ruth's baseball aptitude test score, anyways?
    Travis