Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Regrade???

How exactly does regrade work? I have about 6 coins i think would be good for it. Some of the coins are in pcgs old style holders do they put them in new holders when the regrade?

Comments

• Options
    I have heard that the coins in the old holders have a better chance of regrading higher, is there any truth to that?
  • Options
    All coins sent in for regrade will be returned in a new holder - whether the grade has improved or not.

<< <i>I have heard that the coins in the old holders have a better chance of regrading higher, is there any truth to that? >>

Common thinking, but view/judge each coin on an individual basis. Some will, some won't.
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    I have heard that the coins in the old holders have a better chance of regrading higher, is there any truth to that?

IMO, the vast majority of those coins that had upgrade potential have been sent in already.
    At this point, if you're looking to send some coins in for regrade I would say, "Know how to grade that series".
    I would not buy 'rattlers' or 'OGH' for the sole purpose of regrading them.
    My first regrade submission I batted 3-for-3, each going up 1-pt. image

How exactly does regrade work?
    Submit the coins just like you would any other coin, but on the form check 'regrade'.
    These should still be in the holders & you can ask for a minimum grade, that way if you have an MS65 (say in a NGC! holder & you specify MS65 as a minimum grade) & PCGS would only give the coin a MS64 grade, they will not crack it out, but instead return the coin in it's NGC holder.
    If you are doing it this way, you should not send in raw coins on the same submission form.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    How exactly does regrade work?
    Submit the coins just like you would any other coin, but on the form check 'regrade'.
    These should still be in the holders & you can ask for a minimum grade, that way if you have an MS65 (say in a NGC! holder & you specify MS65 as a minimum grade) & PCGS would only give the coin a MS64 grade, they will not crack it out, but instead return the coin in it's NGC holder.
    If you are doing it this way, you should not send in raw coins on the same submission form. >>

>>

No, you're thinking of crossover, which is where you would send in a coin in another service's holder. A regrade would be for a PCGS holdered coin. Just send it in, in the PCGS holder, and check "regrade" on the invoice. The coin is (supposedly) cracked out and sent through raw, and then slabbed at either the previous grade or the new grade, whichever is higher (the grade is guaranteed to not go down).
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    yep.. what he ^ said
    Dan
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    OOPS. image