Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

TOTAL RIP? Can Anyone Else Believe That This PCGS MS66RD 1917 Lincoln DDO Sold For JUST 21k (plus th

LINK If this REALLY sold, then if IT is not a sign the market is softening (or already has) I don't know what is.

Guess I shoulda bid more than 20k image

I remember when Andy wouldn't part with one for less than 60k and then it got bid up to a little over 45k (but didn't make reserve) in a subsequent Heritage sale then Tom Mershon couldn't unload his for 35k in another Heritage sale (correct me if I'm wrong)! image

Comments

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

This is all the coin is worth.It was previously reserved for 27 k and did not sell.Heritage will be auctioning to Mershon example at FUN.It is also a 66 red.

stewart
  • Options
    Stewart,

I thought you previously noted "it was only worth 30k". I have no doubt you were right then AND are right now (thus my 20k bid - w/the juice as the "stretch"). That supports my assertion of the "softening" - at least for this specific variety. image
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if you can extrapolate that the market is softening, but rather there are no super heavy competitions between "gotta have the number on the holder" Lincoln variety collectors at the moment.
    Doug
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Right Doug,
    Don't forget last week at the B & M sale where a COUPLE of guys "hada have" that 1990 no S Lincoln proof.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A guy I know here in No. Cal has a slabbed 1917 DDO MS 67 [PCGS or NGC, I do not remember]. I wonder what it would sell for.
  • Options

Sanction - The California dealer has a PCGS ms 67 red.He was offered $125 K for the coin and turned it down.A second PCGS ms 67 red was made and sold for $70,000.There are two 67 reds,4 ms 66 reds and two ms 65 reds.It seems there is almost always a 1917 DDO in ms 66 red up for auction at least every year.
    I believe the California dealers ms 67 red 1917 DDO is worth $50,000 to $60,000.
    My reasoning is the doubling on the 1917 is not as great as a 1936 ddo type 1,1941 DDO,1955/55,1958 DDO,1969 DDO,1970 DDO and the 1972 DDO.

Roger -There is not a softening in the Lincoln cent market but only a price correction with the 1917DDO

Steve - There were not TWO GUYS but rather one fool who left a podium bid for the 1990 No S

Stewart
  • Options

<< <i><a class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;ih=002&amp;sspagename=STRK:MEDW:IT&amp;viewitem=&amp;item=120046586045&amp;rd=1,1" target=blank><STRONG>LINK</STRONG></A> If this REALLY sold, then if IT is not a sign the market is softening (or already has) I don't know what is.

Guess I shoulda bid more than 20k image

I remember when Andy wouldn't part with one for less than 60k and then it got bid up to a little over 45k (but didn't make reserve) in a subsequent Heritage sale then Tom Mershon couldn't unload his for 35k in another Heritage sale (correct me if I'm wrong)! image >>

Don't forget, live auction prices don't mean the item sold at that price, as they are almost always for sale in other venues at the same time, so if that coin sold, it may have sold for much more than the ebay realized price.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the 65RD examples has a rim clip. If I ever win the lottery I'm hunting that bad boy down and causing a one-man "market adjustment".

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanity has left the building: $125K refused for a 1917 MS cent?
    Unreal.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

Sean - The 65m red with a rim clip was downgraded to 65 R/B.

Roadrunner - I agree with you

Stewart