Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1897 Diamond Jubilee Medal - Victoria

Went out for errands and had to swing by my favorite antique store today. The 2nd set of owners just returned from their summer France trip and said "Hey Jeff... look what we brought back". They know I collect coins, but I haven't bought too much darkside stuff from them, but it looked pretty neat. I couldn't find one exactly like it on the Internet - there are plenty of variations, but if anyone has any info on this, I'd appreciate knowing what you do image Any other opinions are welcome.

I am pretty sure the discoloration on the obv is where the case closes the writing from the case lid made the coin tone, it does not look like damage under a loupe.

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    image If you want to rid yourself of that terrible piece of iron, throw in an envelope and send it to me for disposal. image
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    I'll pay for shipping if if you dispose it to me....!
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image If you want to rid yourself of that terrible piece of iron, throw in an envelope and send it to me for disposal. image >>

The last medal I showed I had about 8 PMs offering to buy it, looks like this one is no different image If I ever sell it, I'll update the post with an eBay or BST link.

theBoz11 - I looked at your site in your sig block and noticed a few with #'s (BHM) - is this particular medal in any catalog you know of?

It is 1 3/4 inches in diameter, pretty sure that's about 45mm. I'm not even 100% sure what metal the medal is made of.

JZ - thanks, I'll add you to the list to notify if it comes to market. I usually just stare at my new pieces for a month or so before I see how it grows on me and figure out what I'll do with it image

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I sure wouldn't mind getting in line for that medal either! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    Nice medal!
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I sure wouldn't mind getting in line for that medal either! image >>

I'll add you to the list image

I finally found some references and pictures of this medal in an Australian Numismatic Auction House - Noble
    http://www.noble.com.au/

I registered to get the hammer prices for this item. They have sold a few over the years, have cataloged it as both 45mm and 46mm, always as gilt bronze/gilded bronze though. They've also cataloged it as Queensland International & Queensland Industrial Exposition (Even with pictures of the same coin image )

Here are the results I could find in Australian Dollars and (US)

April 2005: Blank - Nearly FDC - Estimate 350, Hammer 430 ($331)
    April 2005: Blank - Extremely fine/ good extremely fine - Estimate 300, Hammer 360 ($277)
    July 2004: Inscribed - Good-Extremely Fine - Estimate 250, Hammer 500 ($384)
    July 1997 Blank - Good-Extremely Fine - Estimate 120, Hammer 360 ($277)

I couldn't believe those prices - maybe I should ship it to Noble to sell image

• Options
    Boy they really cranked up the coin presses for that event. I keep seeing new varieties of diamond jubilee medals popping up all the time. It makes me wonder why counterfeiting wasn't a bigger problem in Victorian England with so many places able to crank out high quality pieces like that. BTW, I never knew Vicky had a beauty mark on her cheek. image
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Strikeout>>> The Reference book/catalog is British Historical Medals by L Brown and it does not list medals outside of England. I am glad you found a auction site that gave you the info. You are right about the prices though,, they are getting fairly stiff and finding high quality pieces are very hard to find anymore. You piece does appear to have some cleaning lines on the reverse and it would disqualify it from an FDC status but is still a beauty worth owning. Don't expect to get those prices on ebay, and if you are going to sell, Nobles is a fine auction house.