Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Supersize me please. Big ole hunk of GOLD

This coin is not mine. image

I came across it while window shopping and was taken aback. I didn't even know this type existed. The same famous and beautifull obverse design as the smaller denominations but it's huge! Nearly one full ounce of gold. Yowzers! I'd take this work of art over a St. Gaudens any day.

Comments

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    You're taking in a whole lot of territory calling it more beautiful than a St. Gaudens. image I think American coin designs of the early 20th century are among the absolute best in the history of coinage. However, there's nothing ugly or undesirable about this Swiss Miss!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given the opportunity to own this Swiss coin or a comparable St. Gaudens I'd chose the Swiss.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Don't get me wrong; I like this coin too. It's just that for a few decades there, America produced some of the most stunningly beautiful and meaningful coins ever seen in the world's history.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, that era did produce some nice US stuff. I guess I've just never been a big fan of the St. Gaudens gold though.
  • Options
    BurksBurks Posts: 1,103
    I didn't know those were produced in that size either.

She's a hottie!
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,449 ✭✭✭✭
    One year type with a 5000 mintage. NEN has currently an MS64, and from cladiator's photo, I assume that this one is from Steinberg's inventory.

It costs a lot more than a common St Gaudens but a lot less than a rare Saint. image

A classic for world gold collectors and a very important coin for any Swiss collection.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    The Swiss 100 franc is one beautiful coin !!!
    Hopefully one day I'll be able to add one to my world gold collection.
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Hey, a face not too different from a thousand others we've seen. An absolutely forgettable reverse...

I like Swiss coins but, the St. Gaudens is much more attractive.

You just fell in love with a coin you didn't imagine existed...image

Ed for spelling
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato