Home Stamps Forum

This stamp collecting is evil stuff!

It started again with looking for a stamp with a flower on it. Now, there are stamps everywhere. Of course I had to get out my childhood stamp album to see what I did have. Got set on a mission to get the Canadian stamps........

Today I stopped at the Post Office as the new Cdn Permanent stamps came out. Bought those, plus a couple FDC's I didn't have, and then she went and looked in the vault for me. Bought more FDC's, and the 2006 Collection Canada book. It goes on....... Eek!

One day my son will be on the forum saying, 'My Mom left me this massive stamp colletion, what do I do with it?'

Comments

• LOL!!! Just remember it's a hobby! Do you have the Canadian one with the Beaver?

Jerry
  • No worries, I never take anything too seriously. I also collect books and plants and frogs (not live ones).

No I don't have any of the beaver stamps, there were 4 in the 1850's, are those the ones you mean? My oldest Cdn stamp is Queen Victoria issued Feb. 1872, used and my oldest mint is Queen Victoria again issued July 1882.

I never really stopped collecting from when I was younger and had the Ambassador Stamp Album (still have), just never sought anything out. I'm still finding packets of stamps that need soaking.

I'm thinking of trying to source out an older Scott's manual?, is that what they're called. And I'm kinda clueless here but how does the Scott's book work? I've the impression that there is one issued for the US and then others for countries alphabetically, like A-C, D-F and so on? Is this right? Figuring out Canada's is easy because of the Postal Archives which I might add I find absolutely amazing. I wish all countries had something like that online.
    I've also found Postbeeld's site a wealth of info, but they don't have it all. Which is why I want the Scott's books. Is it easier to find the stamp if you know the Scott #? Are the Michel #'s only for European countries?

I've cut myself off of E-bay until after Christmas!

One thing I've got to figure out is how to store the stamps. I don't like using the hinges and pasting in a book but I would like them in book form so that I can look through them and enjoy. I will have to go to one of my local stamps shops to see what is available now for that.

Linda
  • Linda, Scott nrs. are the best because they are widely recognized. And yes you'll have to get a world book with "C"

www.brooklyngallery.com this is a good place to start. They have everything...just ask. They also have the mounts to use instead of hinges. NO HINGES!

Also, Subway Stamp is another supplier of accessories. www.subwaystamp.com They have the catalogs for all the countries. I'd call them! Also, do you take Linns?

Jerry

• << <i>Also, do you take Linns? >>

Linns?

Thanks for the tips on the accessories.

Linda