Home Metal Detecting
Options

Do these sites usually turn up anything?

First, I do not have a metal detector, but I am thinking about purchasing one. My first site would be my neighborhood. It consists of 38 1/2 acre lots built from the early 1920s to the mid 1930s. The homes were the finest in town at that time. I state that last fact because of my question, would my neighborhood be worth searching?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Bill

Comments

• Options
    If there are people in the area - yes
    If there was construction - yes
    You will want to go online and research the area and see if there were any other towns or older buildings that may have existed in the past.

That's just one of the challenges that an MD'r takes....

speaking of which....now that I am settled in my new house...it's time to break out the md and git er dun!!!
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    My rule of thumb......If I even SUSPECT there may be something there, I search....What's it going to hurt?

• Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    You probably won't dig any Indian Heads, V nickels, Barbers, etc. But Mercs, Rosies, Buffs,Walkers?......... I'd look.
  • Options
    the easy and maybe first areas to hit, would be the parking strips. i used to knock on doors alot. sometimes the people are cool and you search they're property. i prefer to find the homes that have some serious yard work being done.

typically, in 20's-30's homes, i never got anything older than early teens. there were a few times when i hit an indian cent. have dug alot of silver washingtons and halves.
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭

<< <i>First, I do not have a metal detector, but I am thinking about purchasing one. My first site would be my neighborhood. It consists of 38 1/2 acre lots built from the early 1920s to the mid 1930s. The homes were the finest in town at that time. I state that last fact because of my question, would my neighborhood be worth searching?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Bill >>

I restate to verify that I understand what your asking, you say you have about 38 acres of old buildings (Still there or not) from the 20' and 30's that was at one time the rich part of town that you can without hastle MD and your wondering if you should give it a try or not?

My uneducated guess would be hell yes and we expect updates on your many finds. My suggestions, try to find where old clothes lines were, check around oak trees or large trees that children might have played in. Look along stone walls if any in the area, and scour the land for landmarks. Think back in the days when people did not trust the bank systems and they buried coins int he yard near a landmark.

That should get you started. Give us some pictures of the area if you can.

Ray