Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ancient Coin Grading Services

What is the most reputable TPG for Ancient Romans?
In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"

Comments

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as it pains me to say it I believe ICG is the reigning King of Ancients.
  • Options
    ICG is pretty much founded on ancients, I think
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ICG is the leader in grading ancient coins. I wouldn't consider using anyone else but they are getting very conservative with Roman coins.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    There's just really something odd about seeing an ancient coin entombed in plastic... not saying it's wrong, just very, very odd.
  • Options
    lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    Ok, thanks...Thats what I thought based on some research. It looks like these ICG slabbed ancients have a nicer premium over raw material, so what I need to figure out now is what I should gamble on and what I should sell raw. I spoke to ICG and they wouldnt do a bulk discount unless I had over 100 coins. Also, they said I could mix and match if I had US and World material to grade as well. But, I would rather stick to the top TPG's, rather than throw my money away at IPG.

Are there any other variables that you would consider when opting to encapsulate ancients? What should I weigh my decisions on?

Thx all for your opinions.

and spoon, image
    In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are thinking of selling Roman coins, especially on eBay, I would highly recommend getting them slabbed by ICG. The Roman coin I showed sold on eBay yesterday one hour after I listed it. Someone hit the BIN for $125.

If you are just collecting the coins and are sure they are authentic, I see no need for certification.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Thx ajaan....I agree, the ICG coins sold at nice levels on EBAY...I have no intentions on keeping them, they were part of a bigger deal that I made a few weeks ago. I know they are authentic because I brought them over to Stack's and they made me an offer on the spot. I'm now exploring the best strategies for me to sell. Thx for the advice, its much appreciated.

• Options
    If you don't insist on having your coin wrapped in plastic I would suggest Ancient Coin Certification Service http://www.davidrsear.com/certification.html

I don't think you could do much better than getting them certified by the man who has written many of the standard references on ancients.
  • Options
    THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO CONDER101...I GUESS IT MAKES SENSE TO GO RIGHT TO THE SOURCE. IF ICG CHARGES $20 PER COIN, AND THEN YOU NEED TO HAVE SOMEONE ATTRIBUTE THEM FOR YOU TO SELL, THEN YOU ARE PROBABLY BETTER OFF GOING THE ROUTE YOU MENTIONED. THE PROBLEM WITH ME IS THAT I NEED TO KNOW WHAT COINS ARE WORTH SPENDING $35 ON AND WHICH ONES ARE NOT...WELL, IT SHOULD BE A LEARNING EXPERIENCE ANYWAYS image

THX AGAIN
    LEN