Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1962 Topps #5 Sandy Koufax PSA 9 goes for $58K!!!

Did anyone else see this in the recently completed Andy Madec auction? With 15% hammer, the card went for over $66,000...

Am I missing something here? SMR is $8,500; recent sales of this card have ranged from $5,723 on ebay to $10-12K at the auction houses.

Link provided below.

Link

Comments

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Either not a real sale - or just two people got into a bidding war.

The 1957 Koufax PSA 9 has undergone similar auction hammers as of late...
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

With 34 bids, looking at the bidding history, I would say, serious bidder(s) with very deep pockets, particpating in a bidding war!

But one never really knows, I guess except Andy & Co.?

rd

edit: $8,500 SMR to $66,000 with the fees, wow! image

• mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    rd:

Without making any reference to any auction house or any particular auctioned sale - it is a very curious thing to spend some time with a library of auction catalogs and note that, in some auction houses more than others, how the same graded cards with the same certification numbers seem to be auctioned time and again over a period of years.

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭
    I will use auction houses to sell.

but never to buy......image

Loves me some shiny!
  • RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    That wasn't the #1 Koufax sold that night though...this one went higher.
  • I am shocked image
  • With the prices being realized on Koufax cards I've placed my full run of Koufax cards (1955-1966) on eBay. Although, my cards range from PSA 6 to PSA 8, I might be able to land a quick buyer at the price I want based on the interest with Koufax cards! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards