Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Scratched cards

I have a question that I was hoping some of you could help me answer. I recently purchased an ungraded 1986 Dave Winfield/Jim Rice Dorman's panel card with the thought that I would submit it for grading so I could add it to my Jim Rice set. The cards looks perfect . . . except when you tilt it in the light. I can see a small scratch across Jim's face. I read through the PSA grading standards and it sounds like this would probably be given a PSA 6 because PSA's blurb on grading says this: " PSA EX-MT 6 card may have visible surface wear or a printing defect which does not detract from its overall appeal. A very light scratch may be detected only upon close inspection." Given that the rest of the card is sharp, well-focused, and free from other defects what is the likelihood it could get a 7 or even an 8? Thanks guys.

Comments

• Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Link didnt work on my end.

Tough call though. Depending on the size and depth of the scratch, and how hard the grader looks it could go either way. I definately wouldnt expect an 8, and more than likely youd be looking at a 6 or 7 at best IMO.

Youd probably be better off trying to pick up another panel, they can be had cheap enough if you look around.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    I had similar situation a few years ago, didn't see the scratch right away and only by tilting. I got a 5. I suspect the chance of an 8 is slim even though it is a nice card.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.