Home Q & A Forum

Crack outs?

fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
My understanding is if a coin is sent in for regrade the graders don't have anyway of finding the old grade beforehand, and grade the coin strictly on the merit of the coin. What are your thoughts on cracking coins and sending them in vs. sending them in encased in their original holders?

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

Comments

• << <i>My understanding is if a coin is sent in for regrade the graders don't have anyway of finding the old grade beforehand, and grade the coin strictly on the merit of the coin. What are your thoughts on cracking coins and sending them in vs. sending them in encased in their original holders? >>

Hi fcloud,

Knowing the system as I do, I always recommend that submitters send their regrades in the original, unopened holder. If a submitter cracks open the holder before submission, all guarantees are voided and all bets are off. If we crack it out under the regrade service, the coin is graded "blind" and the grade cannot go down.
    Ron Guth
    President
    PCGS CoinFacts - the Internet Encyclopedia of U.S. Coins
    www.CoinFacts.com