Home Q & A Forum
Options

Capsule-sized holders for mint boxes?

The mint sends beautiful set boxes with items like the latest 20th anniversary AGE and ASE sets.
If the coins are certified by PCGS at this time, that nice set box is laid to waste, forever empty, and not used for it's intention.

The coins look absolutely beautiful in the mint box, but many like myself prefer them certified. Is there a way we have our cake and eat it too?
Has your company researched ways to holder a coin in a capsule-size so a certified coin can be placed in the mint box as what was intended by the mint?
Perhaps use some holographic technology to mark an unopenable capsule from the inside to preserve the certification or something along those lines?

Thanks

Comments

• Options

<< <i>The mint sends beautiful set boxes with items like the latest 20th anniversary AGE and ASE sets.
    If the coins are certified by PCGS at this time, that nice set box is laid to waste, forever empty, and not used for it's intention.

The coins look absolutely beautiful in the mint box, but many like myself prefer them certified. Is there a way we have our cake and eat it too?
    Has your company researched ways to holder a coin in a capsule-size so a certified coin can be placed in the mint box as what was intended by the mint?
    Perhaps use some holographic technology to mark an unopenable capsule from the inside to preserve the certification or something along those lines?

Thanks >>

Hi Loki,

Interesting idea, but not something we're looking at right now. In my opinion, the problem is not the advanced technology of holograms and other micro-marking techniques, but in the old technology of sealing the capsules. Each different size requires a different horn on the sealing machine, which is an expensive proposition. Unless the demand is high, such an investment is not justifiable.
    Ron Guth
    President
    PCGS CoinFacts - the Internet Encyclopedia of U.S. Coins
    www.CoinFacts.com