Home Q & A Forum
Options

Discovery coin

BIGDAVEBIGDAVE Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭
Hi I just got my coin and a letter back from Leroy Van Allen
Stating i made a New Peace Vam variety I know you dont Reconize the 1923 Vam 1aw,
IT 's New, But I would Love to Have it In a PCGS holder Stating It is A Discovery Coin (it is already in a pcgs Holder) Like Anacs Does(yuk)
I would be Willing to Pay at the $100 level To have "Discovery coin" on a PCGS the Holder .
This is my First and only Discorery coin(means a lot to Me )

Thank you
BigDave
David Welker
cc member #537502/282260

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Hi I just got my coin and a letter back from Leroy Van Allen
    Stating i made a New Peace Vam variety I know you dont Reconize the 1923 Vam 1aw,
    IT 's New, But I would Love to Have it In a PCGS holder Stating It is A Discovery Coin (it is already in a pcgs Holder) Like Anacs Does(yuk)
    I would be Willing to Pay at the $100 level To have "Discovery coin" on a PCGS the Holder .
    This is my First and only Discorery coin(means a lot to Me )

Thank you
    BigDave
    David Welker
    cc member #537502/282260 >>

Hi David,

Congratulations on your discovery. Unfortunately, we do not make such designations on our holders.
    Ron Guth
    President
    PCGS CoinFacts - the Internet Encyclopedia of U.S. Coins
    www.CoinFacts.com
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ron probably didn't know it, but they have done it at least once – a favor to me years ago from David Hall.

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is one problem with this type of label. Unless it can be made as a one-off and kept out of the pop reports, any of these special requests like "Birthday Coin from Grand Pa" gum up the catalog and POP Report. Nevertheless, several services will do this special request anyway. Don't some of Mr. Hansen's coins have special labels?

It may come down to this: When a collector sends in a "Discovery Coin" it needs to be verified (even with a letter). Lots of coins sold as from shipwreck X cannot be verified either so with a big company, it may not be worth the time.