Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Beware of Greeks bearing gifts...

... unless of course it's SYRACUSIAN. image

Just got a package in the mail today from the Grecian one. Some very lovely coins contained therein:

Greece 20L 1874A, raw. Lovely little coin about the size of a U.S. dime.

imageimage

Canada 5c 1902, PCGS MS64. Yowza! I had my doubts that it would be this colorful in hand. I was wrong... way wrong! It has an alien deep blue glow about it that is just stunning.

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    dcamp78dcamp78 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭
    Suhweet!
    Big Dave
    -------------------------
    Good trades with: DaveN, Tydye, IStillLikeZARCoins, Fjord, Louie, BRdude
    Good buys from: LordMarcovan, Aethelred, Ajaan, PrivateCoinCollector, LindeDad, Peaceman, Spoon, DrJules, jjrrww
    Good sale to: Nicholasz219
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That particular Greek has borne some NICE gifts to yours truly (and my daughter) in the past.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭✭
    Canada 5c 1902, PCGS MS64. Yowza! I had my doubts that it would be this colorful in hand. I was wrong... way wrong! It has an alien deep blue glow about it that is just stunning.

I believe that the reason that Dan was worried about the colour, was its TrueView photo

There has been a lot of talk (over at the Liteside) lately, about the accuracy of these photos, with many members expressing a view that they presented the coin better than it was in reality. All this talk took place because there's a rumour that PCGS will discontinue its TrueView service, and if this happens I will be very sad if not devastated.My submissions to PCGS will probably diminish too, since TrueView had become the main reason for submitting to them.

My experience with TrueView is that sometimes the photo was capturing a particularly favourable angle from which colour and luster were looking at their best, but this was not meant to deceive buyers, this angle certainly existed, when you rotate a coin under proper lightning, you can discover some particular angles under which the appearance of the coin is much better, and Phil is a master in discovering these, hats off for that.

Anyway, this particular fishscale, with mushroom pedigree, was as colorful as its TrueView photo suggested, and it was not a gift. image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

<< <i>there's a rumour that PCGS will discontinue its TrueView service >>

As far as I know, it's confirmed. TrueView will be no more, alas. I never used it but had plans to.

<< <i>My experience with TrueView is that sometimes the photo was capturing a particularly favourable angle from which colour and luster were looking at their best, but this was not meant to deceive buyers, this angle certainly existed, when you rotate a coin under proper lightning, you can discover some particular angles under which the appearance of the coin is much better, and Phil is a master in discovering these, hats off for that. >>

Indeed. I see nothing wrong with shooting a coin from its best possible angle, as long as that angle really exists. (Even if it's a devil to capture, as Phil so skillfully does). Somebody likened it to those "Glamor Shots" photographs that women have taken in studios. As long it's really you in the picture, who cares if that isn't how you look on the average workday?

Then again, I wouldn't want to buy a coin from a glamour shot and have it arrive and find that it's a dull, lackluster greyish-brown piece with no pizazz, which only shows its colors under certain lighting conditions and angles. This is the problem with a lot of 19th century proofs, I've found. In a perfect world, a seller should show both faces of the coin- both the ideal glamor shot and the normal, everyday look. However, sellers being who they are (and I count myself as no exception), they're gonna want to show only the glamor and none of the blah.

Therein lies the conflict of interest, I suppose. I see both sides of the issue, I think, and both have their points. But generally I see nothing wrong with a little glamor photography. I only wish I was better at doing it!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Awesome 5C, beautiful blue....
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    In a perfect world, a seller should show both faces of the coin- both the ideal glamor shot and the normal, everyday look. However, sellers being who they are (and I count myself as no exception), they're gonna want to show only the glamor and none of the blah.

Eh, not necessarily true. Example
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options