Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Roman Coins - ID help please

Can someone shed some light on these two Romans, as far as attribution and approx. value?

Thx for your help.
Len

In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"

Comments

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Top piece is a tetradrachm of Nero from the mint of Alexandria in Egypt. Looks like Neptune on the reverse (trident in the lower left field).

The other is a denarius of Trajan. I'm not sure but the reverse seems to be of the province of Arabia (camel and all).

Interesting coins. I see coins of these types in the $30-50 range from time to time, but someone else may have a better handle on values than I.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    Thx so much for the information STLNATS, its much appreciated.

Does anyone else have an opinion on these?

Thx all
    In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

• Options
    I think it's Poseidon on the Nero coin, year 14, 67-68 AD.

Doug
    The Faustina Collector
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neptune=Poseidon. Same deity, different names, depending on whether you were Greek or Roman.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I had a another dealer at a show tell me the reverse portrait was ZEUS??? Is that a possibility?

• Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    No, the trident is an attribute of Poseidon. If the legend were not so corroded, it would actually read POSEIDON ISTHMIOS in Greek script. The portrait does look a lot like the depictions of Zeus/Jupiter with the thick curly beard and hair. As a result, they needed to include an attribute that is associated only with Poseidon to get the point across. image

I think STL NATS has the price right on the Nero, but the Trajan would fetch $75.00-$100.00 retail. It's a popular type and in pretty decent shape.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    The portrait does look a lot like the depictions of Zeus/Jupiter with the thick curly beard and hair. As a result, they needed to include an attribute that is associated only with Poseidon to get the point across

And the attribute is very important on these: interestingly I initially responded that it was Zeus. Then, before replying, I caught the trident which nailed it to Neptune/Poseidon.

I'm surprised in the value of the Trajan, altho it is a nifty reverse. But I collect folles of RIC 6 so am not that atuned to pricing of the other series......

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    Well, thanks for the wonderful information...These are much more interesting than most of the US coins I collect.

I am not an ancients guru by any stretch of the imagination, but what would these coins grade, in your opinion?

And, is it worth submitting these coins to ICG if they are better varieties or in nicer condition??? All suggestions are welcome image

Also, can you recommend someone who consigns Romans, as I am considering selling part or all of this collection. There are quite a bit more.

Thx everyone!