Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

China Coin Dealers

There is a common perception that dealing with any coin dealer in China should be avoided like the plague. While that is a good position to take in general, it can be the wrong one to take if you are searching for coins that are seldom seen on eBay or other familiar sites.

Many of the better coins of China and its provinces are available only in China. If you want to purchase those better coins, the easiest and sometimes the only way to obtain them is directly from a reputable dealer in China.

A reputable dealer will fill want lists (one needs to be specific as to the grade, originality, etc. required), will be responsive and will communicate well. The dealer will provide quality images and accurate descriptions. The majority of dealers speak fluent English. They will accept returns.

The big advantage to the buyer is the wealth of selection of older coins. It is generally less expensive to acquire common post-1900 coins in the USA except in bulk.

Shipping can be via registered mail which includes insurance and tracking. Delivery is one or two days slower than USA registered mail. Most will take PayPal but typically prefer echecks.

One way of finding a dealer is to ask one of the better eBay sellers if they are interested in finding coins you need or if they can recommend a dealer. Of course due dilligence is mandatory.

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Do you have a list of absolutely fool-proof guaranteed quality dealers?

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

Do you have a list of absolutely fool-proof guaranteed quality dealers?

I make my living buying and selling coins for clients who wish to remain anonymous and/or do not have the time to search for coins. Many sources/methods for acquiring coins are regarded as company assets because they provide a competitive edge. Those sources are not shared. However, here are three for China related coins that I have been very pleased in my dealings with them.

Major dealer:

Francis Wee in Singapore
    asiannumismatic.com
    frankwee@yahoo.com

Part time seller specializing in a niche market:

Riam Thum (Harvard student presently)
    Coins of xinjiangcoins
    xinjiangcoins.com (website has excellent info on coins of Xinjiang)
    osroes@yahoo.com
    eBay ID - osroes

Panda gold/silver and modern coins:

Yin Wenqi
    wenqi1981@hotmail.com

• Options

<< <i>[Francis Wee in Singapore
    asiannumismatics.com
    frankwee@yahoo.com
    >>

I've dealt with Frank very successfully in the past. He is the sole entry on my list of trusted sellers in Hong Kong/Singapore/China.

He's a member of this forum under the name Singaporecoinguy, but I haven't seen any postings from him in several months.
    Roy

• Options
    Hi, OnlyBuffalos and Roy.

Thanks for the leg-up on this forum. I visit once in a while to lurk around and read what you guys are chatting about. I've revamped my website, www.asiannumismatic.com recently and am adding coins and banknotes progressively, so do drop in for a visit.image
  • Options
    My suggestion is to buy PCGS graded coins from sellers in Taiwan. If you are not sure the value, do not bid! If you are not sure if a raw coin is genuine or not, browse the bid history and bid if and only if there are serious Chinese bidders. If you want to buy Chinese ancient coins from some seller in U.S., make sure he or she is professional in that filed since some sellers in U.S. with high feedback scores also sell fake coins without any warning.

www.seaclassic.com was a good online store for Chinese coins last year, but they have not updated for a while.
  • Options

<< <i>Hi, OnlyBuffalos and Roy.

Thanks for the leg-up on this forum. I visit once in a while to lurk around and read what you guys are chatting about. I've revamped my website, www.asiannumismatic.com recently and am adding coins and banknotes progressively, so do drop in for a visit.image >>

I didn't find many Chinese coins in your store just now. When you add new Chinese coins, please let us know. image
  • Options
    MR168MR168 Posts: 78 ✭✭
    Hi:
    When buying coins from dealers overseas, do you need to deal with U.S. custom for the import tax?
    Thanks, CL
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I'm not mistaken, there is no import duty on items less than $500.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. what if it's over $500?
  • Options
    I'm just going by when I lived in Thailand during the 1980s. We didn't have to declare anything under $500. I would check out the US customs website to see what the total is now.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Thank you.
  • Options
    I see you can carry in $800 worth of items duty free, I couldn't see anything about purchases mailed from another country.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I do not believe there are customs duties on coins coming into the US. But the Chinese are trying to get the US to pass a ban on all chinese coins before about 1911 as part of a cultural properties protection measure.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Send a happy birthday card when shipping