Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Any Ancient Coin Experts Around?

I got a few uncleaned ancient coins off of eBay... these two had the least dirt on them. Can you help to ID them? Thanks!

To support LordM's European Trip, click here!

Comments

• Options
    TTT for the night crew
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The top one's got me beat - I can't even tell which way is up! If that's writing in the centre of the left-side picture, then I'd guess a later Byzantine bronze?

The bottom one is easier. Late Roman (can't tell which emperor, there's not much visible of the obverse inscription), somewhere in the 300's AD, GLORIA ROMANORVM type with "Emperor dragging away a captive" as the reverse design. Looks like the mintmark might be ANTB (Antioch). Here's a similar one off the Wildwinds archive, issued by emperor Valentinian I:
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    In hand, the first coin seems to have a few lines of islamic or arabic writing on both sides of the coin. I've got them both soaking in olive oil now to help clear the dirt off.

Thanks for the ID on the second one! After the others are cleaned off, I'll post them here too. There's about 6 others.
  • Options
    i'd say the first one is an islamic bronze fals, roughly dating 750 A.D to 1000 A.D