Home U.S. Coin Forum

Eric P. Newman's Newman Money Museum: a museum report (photos added)

RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
This morning, I had the opportunity to visit the new Newman Money Museum (link to website). It opened to the public two weeks ago, and it is in the bottom floor of the Mildred Lane Art Museum, nestled on the cozy campus of Washington University in St. Louis.

Walking into the museum, I naturally expected the Money Museum to be the high point and was somewhat discouraged when all the Andy Warhol crap was upstairs, and the good stuff was downstairs. That aside, the museum was nicely set up and organized and should be a treat for non-collectors, collectors, and even wannabes for years to come.

When I entered the money museum, I was the only person there, and this gave me the opportunity to browse undisturbed (no doubt if Longacre were with me, the hot co-eds would have been all over us) and take many pictures. If there is interest, I will post some of these photos for the forum to peruse. A life-size robotic Ben Franklin greets you and delivers a three minute narration on the history and importance of money. Behind him, luminaries from Mark Twain to Pablo Picasso to Bob Dylan had quotes on the topic of money affixed to the wall. I looked hard for a quote by Russ (ie. "Money Rocks!" or "Money is good."), but I failed to see him represented. There is still some room on the wall, so I expect that additional quotes can be added in time.

Essentially all of the exhibits are under or behind glass, and they include (but are not limited to) into the following sections: Ben Franklin, George Washington, Money Scales, Inflation, Counterfeits and Fakes, Errors!, Odd Denominations, etc., a total of 23 exhibits. Behind a second door is the library. The library is locked, but I peeked in the window and was able to see an inviting and full room of bookshelves, a table with four chairs, and a desk. Some of the books that I could discern from the door were many redbooks, many volumes of Krause's World Coins, and (curiously), QDB's More Adventures with Rare Coins, which was sitting in plain sight on the table. The library is available for use by appointment, and on the way out of the facility, I took the name of the curator to make an appointment in the future.

For me, there were a few numismatic delicacies:

1) Unquestionably the coolest and probably the most valuable, the unique 1792 Washington pattern gold coin. Apparently, the Father of Our Country™ used this as a pocket piece, and it was a thrill for me to be in the room with something that historic. If I were TDN, I would put that on my radar screen. image

2) A complete pattern set of 1868, all denominations in aluminum. The reverse side of all coins was facing the viewer, in a velvet holder, and it would have been nice if this were displayed differently.

3) A Continental Dollar in the Ben Franklin section.

There was a lot of currency (old, new, US, and foreign) as this has been Newman's expertise, a smattering of obsolete coins include a group of Smoothies™, which they elegantly called "worn out coins", and many tokens, semi-numismatic items, and artifacts. From a friend who has visited the Newman home, I knew him to be a collector of antique coin counters and cash registers, and there were quite a few of those exhibited. I imagine that Mrs. Newman was thrilled after 75 years of marriage to get that crap out of her living room. image In one of the counters, there were stacks of gold $5's, $10's, and $20's. I would have liked to check these for southern gold rarities, but alas, the glass protected them from my grasp. One problem inherent to coin displays is that you only get to see one side of the coin. For a worn out Walker that is okay (even preferred), but it would have been nice to see both sides of the Washington patterns.

I expect that this is only Phase I of the Museum, because I failed to see the Southern Gold exhibit, which was surely in the plans, and I look forward to learning more about this in the future. Of course, if they choose not to exhibit southern gold coins, sour grapes for me, but I would not want a Dahlonega coin in the same room as that fugly Shriver commem (yes, in the women and money section entitled, "Not Just a Pretty Face").

Finally, TPGphiles may want to skip to the next paragraph, there was not a single slab in the entire room. image

While I certainly would not recommend travelling to St. Louis just to visit the Museum, when in St. Louis, it will be an essential stop for any numismatist. I know that the Central States show is in St. Louis next spring, and I would be happy to arrange a visit to the Museum from the show, if there is interest. The Museum is readily accessible from downtown and the airport via the new light rail line station, which is probably 100 yards from the entrance. There is also ample meter parking for cars, even during the week, on Brookings Drive just in front of the entrance.

I would be happy to field any questions.

Comments

• LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    Wow! So cool! I love Wash. U's campus, so gorgeous. image It's like a castle!

That sounds like a great museum!

Thanks for sharing your adventures!

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>(no doubt if Longacre were with me, the hot co-eds would have been all over us) >>

image I will make sure that Mrs. Longacre misses this report. image

Great report. I didn't know that there were plans for a Southern Gold museum. Will this be part of the Newman exhibits, or the RYK Museum? If I am ever in St. Louis, I will be sure to stop by. Hanging out at the library part, and checking out some of the books that are not easily found, would be neat too.

Edit-- Please post some pics, too!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't know that there were plans for a Southern Gold museum. Will this be part of the Newman exhibits, or the RYK Museum?

There are no such plans. While Mrs. RYK would certainly do just about anything to get the coin crap out of the house, RYK's largesse will never be anywhere near Mr. Newman's. image
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am shocked that you don't appreciate the greatness of Andy Warhol's work. After all, Andy was from Pittsburgh, has a museum there and is buried there. (Real name: Warhola.) If he had done some prints of southern gold I'm sure you would feel differently.image
    All glory is fleeting.

<< <i>I am shocked that you don't appreciate the greatness of Andy Warhol's work. After all, Andy was from Pittsburgh, has a museum there and is buried there. (Real name: Warhola.) If he had done some prints of southern gold I'm sure you would feel differently.image >>

What position did Warhol play on the 70's dynasty Steelers again?
    I just went to the museum website, was there a Libertas Americana medal on display too? image

-Amanda

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I am shocked that you don't appreciate the greatness of Andy Warhol's work. After all, Andy was from Pittsburgh, has a museum there and is buried there. (Real name: Warhola.) If he had done some prints of southern gold I'm sure you would feel differently.image >>

What position did Warhol play on the 70's dynasty Steelers again? >>

Maybe he watched them on television.image
    All glory is fleeting.

<< <i>I just went to the museum website, was there a Libertas Americana medal on display too? image

-Amanda >>

Oops! Forgot that one.
  • numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Great report. Thanks for posting it.
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RYK, thanks for posting that, even though you should have been in Baltimore today. Being a WU alum I have been really curious about this museum ever since they announced it in CW awhile back. I will definitely check this out the next time I am in StL (probably whenever CSNS is there again).
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Glad you made it home safely!
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report. I look forward to seeing your pictures.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
    And now, the photos:

Ben Franklin, greeting visitors at the entrance:

From the quote board:

Even the modern collectors are well-represented:

None of these $3's has the characteristic obverse features of the 1854-D $3. These were in the odd denomination display.

The 1868 aluminum pattern set (not well enough displayed for my taste):

Coin holders, pre-1986:

Coin counter:

I thought I found an upgrade 1796 dime for Barry. Sadly, it was a contemporary counterfeit.

Now that Legend is getting out of the nickel, maybe they will go after this (Wash U will do or sell anything for a buck image ):

President Washington's pocketpiece is just too awesome!!!

Thanks for posting pictures. image

-Amanda

• LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting pics! That Ben Franklin robot looks pretty scary!!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

• << <i>President Washington's pocketpiece is just too awesome!!! >>

I agree with Amanda. Way cool!
    Since we are talking Newman, I thought I would bump this old thread.

(Note, there are no slabs in the photos image )
  • thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was nice that they let you take photos there. Many museums I've been to won't. Thanks for sharing them.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report.
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report and pics.
  • fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like that coin counter...can you imagine back in the day?
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Great report, thanks for posting it! Next time I'm in St.Louis, I'll make sure I stop by the museum to see the exhibits.
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to knock the 1794 SP66 but, even if it were the first struck, the Washington pocket piece is more important. After all. there are two gold Libertas Americana medals.

This piece doesn't just have major karma juice and historicity, but DNA. If sold at auction it will bring double or moreimage

TY RYK, great report. image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
  • BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭
    As part of the EAC Convention a few years ago we got a tour of the museum and had the chance to meet and speak with Mr. Newman. It was a pleasure. During the tour, I recall seeing a 1799 Dollar that looked every bit a 67 to me! His holdings must be absolutely incredible.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭

Sadly, Ben is kinda creepy.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report, will have to take my kids.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Nice to hear of another visit to the Museum! I have a few pics of long ago to share/add if I may - enjoy!
    Persuing choice countermarked coinage on 2 reales.

Enjoyed numismatic conversations with Eric P. Newman, Dave Akers, Jules Reiver, David Davis, Russ Logan, John McCloskey, Kirk Gorman, W. David Perkins...
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That coin counter is about the coolest thing I have ever seen. Ben's legs not so much. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • "My wish is, so that my drawings, my prints, my curiosities, my books, in a word, those things of Art which have been the joy of my life shall not be consigned to the cold tomb of a museum, and subjected to the stupid glance of the careless passer-by ; but I require that they shall all be dispersed under the hammer of the auctioneer, so that the pleasure which the acquiring of each one has given to me, shall be given again, in each case, to some inheritor of my own tastes."

From the will of Edmond de Goncourt. 1896.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the pics - nice report. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sez RYK - "When I entered the money museum, I was the only person there"

Wanna bet ? There were at least two pairs of eyes on you at all times during your presence. and neither of them belonged to Ben Franklin...image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Where is all the data that exists on the Washington pocket piece?
    Collecting since 1976.
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Where is all the data that exists on the Washington pocket piece? >>

Start with "Studies on Money in Early America" (American Numismatic Society, 1976).

It's the same story as the specimen 1794 - no smoking gun, but a whole lot of circumstantial evidence.
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    The link from the OP no longer works. image

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"My wish is, so that my drawings, my prints, my curiosities, my books, in a word, those things of Art which have been the joy of my life shall not be consigned to the cold tomb of a museum, and subjected to the stupid glance of the careless passer-by ; but I require that they shall all be dispersed under the hammer of the auctioneer, so that the pleasure which the acquiring of each one has given to me, shall be given again, in each case, to some inheritor of my own tastes."

From the will of Edmond de Goncourt. 1896. >>

DeliaBug, I really like that quote. To me, coins do not belong in a museum, other than temporarily as an exhibit. The thrill is in the hunt, and for those few coins behind glass, and those many more in storage that nobody will ever see and appreciate, the hunt is over. It's a sad thing.
  • AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Via DeliaBug, the will of Edmond de Goncourt (1896): <<"My wish is, so that my drawings, my prints, my curiosities, my books, in a word, those things of Art which have been the joy of my life shall not be consigned to the cold tomb of a museum, and subjected to the stupid glance of the careless passer-by ; but I require that they shall all be dispersed under the hammer of the auctioneer, so that the pleasure which the acquiring of each one has given to me, shall be given again, in each case, to some inheritor of my own tastes.">>

According to the Wikipedia, Edmond de Goncourt (May 26, 1822 – July 16, 1896), born Edmond Louis Antoine Huot de Goncourt, was a French writer, literary critic, art critic, book publisher and the founder of the Académie Goncourt.

ScubaFuel: <<DeliaBug, I really like that quote. To me, coins do not belong in a museum, other than temporarily as an exhibit. The thrill is in the hunt, and for those few coins behind glass, and those many more in storage that nobody will ever see and appreciate, the hunt is over. It's a sad thing. >>

I very much like that quote, too, and I like ScubaFuel's remarks. I am glad that many of Newman's treasures will be auctioned.

The Fabulous Eric Newman Collection, Part 4: Proof 1818 Quarter

The Fabulous Eric Newman Coin Collection, part 3: Draped Bust Quarters

The Fabulous Eric Newman Collection, part 1

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly, Ben is kinda creepy.

There was something even creepier.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Analyst, I'm looking forward to your Part 5 - The Newman Capped Bust Quarters, and particularly to your examination of the 1828 B-3 quarter.
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks RYK very interesting! Had a boo at the up coming offerings and there are some amazing treasures...

ABimage
  • ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Where is all the data that exists on the Washington pocket piece? >>

Start with "Studies on Money in Early America" (American Numismatic Society, 1976)."

It's the same story as the specimen 1794 - no smoking gun, but a whole lot of circumstantial evidence. >>

And I haven't read this why? image

I tried to start a thread (my third since joining the Forum) in which I noted the website of a dealer (whom I had never heard of before) which had a great synopsis, including much of EPN's (and others') verifiable research of the story of the gold Washington pattern.

insta-POOF image

Use Google and you'll find it easily. Much much much less circumstantial than the SP66 $1. Sorta makes you wonder how the pocket-piece story can not be true.

I have no insight into Washington's thoughts, and so am likely projecting my own. Using this gold thingy as a pocket piece might have shown something ironic in his nature of which I wasn't aware. Considering their shared anti-monarchic sentiment, Cincinnatus would have chuckled image

No knock on the '94, but, given a choice for either at $1, I'll take the one that melts for moreimage
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

ScubaFuel: <<Analyst, I'm looking forward to your Part 5 - The Newman Capped Bust Quarters, and particularly to your examination of the 1828 B-3 quarter. >>

I appreciate interest in my articles.

I have yet to publicly discuss that 1828 quarters. I will do so, eventually. I did mention a few quarters in part six:

The Fabulous Eric Newman Collection, part 6: Auction Results for silver U.S. Coins

Interestingly, Newman's set of Draped Bust Heraldic Eagle Halves is vastly more important than many collectors realize. Many of these are extreme condition rarities in "mint state" grades.

The Fabulous Eric Newman Coin Collection, part 8: Draped Bust, Heraldic Eagle Half Dollars

Of course, Newman had the best collection of business strike bust dollars to be auctioned in more than fifteen years. Indeed, it was one of the best ever!

The Fabulous Eric Newman Collection, Part 7: Gem Quality Early U.S. Silver Dollars

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file