Home Metal Detecting

Finally got one of these today!!

Never found one before have watched other's dig them up but they eluded me,but not todayimage
Hit the park where I found the gold ring and started working toward's that area as I new there had to be something else good there.Well after a few trash target's I get a 50 rosie I'm like cool silver all ready a good day.Well continue on working toward's that spot and get about 10yrd's from where I found the ring and get this real good quarter signal.I'm figuring it's probally a clad quarter so I get to digging and at about 5in. out pop's this greyish colored disc.I new right away it was silver but thinking it was a washington quarter.Picking it I see the eagle and went did I finally find one??Flipped it over and saw that beautiful lady standing there,I was like yes I finally found one!!
It is a SLQ,possably 1916 or 1917 variety 1 but I will never know as the date is worn completely off.
Thank's for looking and HH,Tom

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats. It has been forever since I dug an SLQ, and I've never found a Type 1.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭
    Nice finds, are you sure that is a type 1? Does it have stars below the eagle on reverse? The hair doesn't look like type 1 (1916-1917), but like type 2 (1917-30). The 1917 type 1's have two hair licks at back of head, while the 1916 head has just one. The type 2 head has a more smoothed out appearance at back of head. Judging by the star detail around lady liberty if it is a type1 it isn't a 1916 - from what I have read they were very weak on worn specimens.
  • WTG Tom! I'm jealous.

Bentfork
    imageimageimage
  • Sweet find..Those things are tough to find for sure....I've only found a few myself over the years.. So they don't come easy.

• << <i>Nice finds, are you sure that is a type 1? Does it have stars below the eagle on reverse? The hair doesn't look like type 1 (1916-1917), but like type 2 (1917-30). The 1917 type 1's have two hair licks at back of head, while the 1916 head has just one. The type 2 head has a more smoothed out appearance at back of head. Judging by the star detail around lady liberty if it is a type1 it isn't a 1916 - from what I have read they were very weak on worn specimens. >>

Hey Kevin thank's for that info,I guess I was a little excited and didn't really look at the back of the coin.It do's have the 3 star's so it would be of the type 2 variety.
    When I was looking and reading in the redbook it said there was a change to liberty in 1917 do to not enough cleavage covering the breast.So they would change it so it was covered,but looking at my coin it doesen't look really covered to me.That's what made me think it was a variety 1.Oh well I don't care it's my first and I'm happyimageHH,Tom
  • Great find! I just hope you weren't the one that cleaned it like that. Would have been even nicer if not harshly cleaned.
    Bob

• << <i>Great find! I just hope you weren't the one that cleaned it like that. Would have been even nicer if not harshly cleaned. >>

I don't think this coin would look any better "Uncleaned".

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage

• << <i>Great find! I just hope you weren't the one that cleaned it like that. Would have been even nicer if not harshly cleaned. >>

Thank's Bob.

Yes I did clean the coin with a solution of E-zest coin cleaner and baking soda,using Q-tip's.
    I should have taken a before pic of it but if you had seen it you wouldn't have even known what it was.
    The coin's that come from this park come out of the ground haveing a dull dark grey film on them which no coin collector would want in there collection and beside's I don't sell them and would want them to look a little nicer in my collection.

Now if this coin had come out of the ground looking nice then no I wouldn't have cleaned it.
    Alot of coin's I have dug have come out of the ground looking just like the day they were dropped no cleaning needed but maybe sitting under running water to let the dirt get knocked off and then dap'em dry no rubbing or anything.

Were not sure why they come out looking like that but it may have to do with fertilizer used on the lawn's,but not really sure.HH,Tom
  • WTG Tom!
    I'm still waiting on my first to appear.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage