Home Stamps Forum
Options

OT Inverted Jenny Stamp used for mail!!!

Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards

Comments

• Options
    will smoebody tell me how to link?
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

• Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Link. Only in the land of the hanging chads . . .
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Wow. We're a helpful crew. image
  • Options

<< <i>Welcome to the Stamp Forum image >>

Dang! We would of loved to have had this posted in the Stamps Forum.

Jerry
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>will smoebody tell me how to link? >>

Above the message box where you type your text, there are several buttons, one of which is labled "http".

Click on that and a box will open asking for the url of the link.

Paste the url you want to link into that box.

Next, type whatever you want to name the link.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    Please... a widow uses one of the 4 unknown stamps to vote and forgets to include any info about herself inside? No way that thing is real. Anyone who has been to art school knows about the infamous "create a stamp by hand and get it past the USPS" assignment. Really.
  • Options
    thanks tom

• Options

• Options

<< <i>Please... a widow uses one of the 4 unknown stamps to vote and forgets to include any info about herself inside? No way that thing is real. Anyone who has been to art school knows about the infamous "create a stamp by hand and get it past the USPS" assignment. Really. >>

Well, I hope someone has the smarts to send it to PSE so we can all find out.

Jerry
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    So, has Scott Travers crossed over to stamps now?
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not collected stamps for years, but I think the USPS may have issued a souvenir sheet with Inverted Jenny reproductions, which may have been used on the ballot envelope.

But, maybe not -- maybe a stamp collector with money to burn trying to ignite interest in stamp collecting!!
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    For those that are interested:

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    jpkinlajpkinla Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    That is amazing! What about the $10 Rolled Edge in MS66 that the Post Office lost:

Mailman gets time for stealing $10 Rolled Edge Coin

They aren't making anymore of these rarities!
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Incredible
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>For those that are interested:

image >>

I had just bought a roll of 39 cent stamps with the Statue of Liberty printed upside down. I just figured it was defective and so I took it back to the post office where the man behind the counter very nicely exchanged it for a properly printed roll.
  • Options
    I bet he still has the stamps too.
  • Options

<< <i>I bet he still has the stamps too. >>

And retired after selling them.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    'Jenny' stamp on ballot is likely a fake Tue Nov 14, 10:25 PM ET

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - A stamp thought to be rare and valuable that was used to mail an absentee ballot now appears to be a fake, an expert said Tuesday.

The stamp thought to be the famous Inverted Jenny stamp was discovered as Broward County officials reviewed absentee ballots for the Nov. 7 elections. An official noticed the stamp was from 1936 and had an upside-down World War I-era airplane — the hallmark of an Inverted Jenny.

Broward elections officials on Monday showed the stamp to reporters and photographers before putting it back into a safe deposit box, said Mary Cooney, the elections office spokeswoman. Images were sent to stamp experts.

Peter Mastrangelo, director of the American Philatelic Society, said after reviewing a digital photo that the stamp appeared to be counterfeit.

A true Inverted Jenny could have been worth as much as $300,000, Mastrangelo said.

There was no name on the envelope, so the vote didn't count. Under Florida law, elections officials will retain the ballot with the stamp for 22 months, according to the Florida secretary of state's office. After that, any action is up to the county elections supervisor.

The 24-cent Jenny stamps were printed in 1918. Sheets were run through presses twice to process all the colors, and on one pass, four Jenny sheets went through backward. Inspectors caught the errors on three sheets and destroyed them, but somehow, a sheet of 100 stamps got through.

• Options
    "...stamp appeared to be counterfeit..." Well, someone is going to have to look at it in person. So, I guess we'll just have to wait. Still a neat story.

Jerry