Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

84 topps payton psa 10...how high

where will this one end??? man, how does mojo do it?

it's a pop 1... wow! ssgunn...good luck.

84 topps payton

150+ psa 10s.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet card, but centering looks weak for a PSA 10, esp. a pop 1 of 1, IMO.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Yeah, looks 40/60 LR and 45/55 TB.

Lee
  • $3500.....might have hit $5K IF it was nicer....

left border looks like it has a touch...but could be a shadow...either way....nice hit!!!
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    There will be some " buy the holder, not the card " sucker out there who will take a bath on that one.

I wonder how many 9's are laying around that look far better than that.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There will be some " buy the holder, not the card " sucker out there who will take a bath on that one.

I wonder how many 9's are laying around that look far better than that. >>

Brian, great point. And with so much unopened, too, there are bound to be far better looking cards out there. Another example of a card that will sell for $3000 today as a 1 of 1, and then $400 in a few years when there are multiple examples.

Didn't the guys who paid $5000 for PSA 10's of McGwire and Griffey learn anything??

Of course, if this were my auction, they'd pull it for putting 1 of 1 in the title!!image

shawn
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Shawn,

I see that " have to have the first one " mentality nearly ever week, though on a lesser scale, with my Mattingly master set.

So many 1 of 1's are fought over by the same 2 or 3 guys, with the card going in the $50-100 range. I pass those over and more often than not within 2 months there are suddenly 4 or 5 of the card in PSA 10, the few guys who HAD to have it at the beginning are out of the race, and I pick the card up for its $9.99 opening bid.

You really would think some of these guys would learn.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• This is not a 1 of 1 even, this is the second psa-10 of this card. The first psa-10 is already in a set on the registry and I just double checked the pop and it says pop of 2. Still a great card though, I doubt I'll land it!

Mike
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭
    these 2 must have just popped in the last month if there are now 2.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • I can't wait to see the day when a psa-10 1985 topps Payton gets graded, now that we are talking about some $$!! It's going to be a tough card to get a 10 on if ever actually. I'm surprised the 1984 Payton took so long to get a psa-10 considering how much 84 material has been submitted the last couple of years. I know the 84 has many printing flaws and centering issues though.

Mike
  • Now that I know there is actually 2 in a 10. I say it goes for between $800-$1200...........
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There will be some " buy the holder, not the card " sucker out there who will take a bath on that one.

I wonder how many 9's are laying around that look far better than that. >>

I couldn't have said it better myself - not very nice at all....for a PSA 10. I have cards better than that end up in PSA 8 holders every submission.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • I am not in on that one LDferg. The only one of ones I buy are usually Cowboys rookies, but I appeciate you thinking of me as a player!

ssgunn