Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

NFL HOF Rookies Set

I know that the NFL HOF rookies set is hotly contested, but a new guy has apparently thrown the gauntlet down. The newly registered #38 current set claims that he/she will be #1. It looks like they have a great start with a Bradshaw PSA 10, among others. I will be tuff to run down MOSH though. Anyone know who this is? (Don't worry, its not me, I'm way down at #49)

Chad

Comments

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I know him, although he does want to remain nameless so I won't be divulging his name or any userIDs. He purchased a couple of cards from me to include PSA 10 1970 Lem Barney and a PSA 10 1961 Jim Otto (1/1).

from what he told me, he has more than what he initially listed on the set. And every card he owns or plans on purchasing will be NONE HIGHER...

Based on my dealings with him, he has the capital necessary to do it, but the hard part will be finding the ULTRA low pop cards he is after. There is a PSA 8 1935 Nagurski coming up for sale in the Memory Lane auction, and I can almost guarantee you will see that card added to his set.

In the end its going to be an AMAZING collection that will likely surpass MOSH. MOSH jumped in and just bought everything he could and then proceeded to upgrade so he shot up real fast. This collector is going to take awhile to reach the top since he wants ONLY the none higher cards, but I have no doubt that he will eventually get there.

Will be fun to watch since, unlike MOSH, he has the set open to viewing!!! I wonder if MOSH will try and defend his turf???lol

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    lommerlommer Posts: 160 ✭✭
    I understand if he wants to remain nameless, that's cool. I agree that it will be fun to watch since his set is open for all to see.

Chad
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Its a secret eh?

Why does this thread remind me of:

Dodgson, Dodgson, we have Dodgson here! See? Nobody cares.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    I hope he at least scans the cards in so we can all enjoy his collection with him, in secret.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Interesting info Jasp!

I agree Jradke

"Mark My Words - I will be #1 RC HOF Set" if you are reading, feel free to post your scans on your registry - you already have some amazing cards, I (and I'm sure others) would love to look at those beauties from time to time! image
  • Options
    Now this is fun!
    Jeremy
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    This is exciting. I started my HOF set about a year ago. Just got Marcus Allen this week. I sold my 1972 set so I have to remove those but the Staubach has lower itself in price so the 8 is again affordable.

I am excited to see this set expand.
  • Options
    The Football HOF RC's continue to be one of the hottest markets out there. I was the first to register this set back in Feb 2003, and it is now up to 58 collector's in just 3 1/2 years.

The scarcity of many of these cards is going to keep this set with its arrow pointing up in the future as well. Most are still HUGE bargains in comparison to baseball HOF RCs, even with the current prices (many sell for 10X SMR)...

Jason

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    I'm glad I'm looking for 5s to 7s. The Football HOF Rookie set is the most competitive of any of the major sports HOF sets. I play with all of them and have over 50% at a 5 to 6 grade of all but Baseball Post War Rookies which puts me in the top 10 on every set but this one - I can't even crack the top 20 here.
    C56, V252, V128-1 sets
    Hall of Famers from all 4 sports
  • Options
    If there's one thing you can say about most football fans is that they are passionate about the sport..I guess the same holds true of the their cards...

And I think that bodes well for the popularity of the set in the future...

Jason
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    It's been really amazing to watch the competition for this set develop over the past few years. It seemed like there were maybe a half dozen of us interested back in the day.

The link is dead now, but didn't the Yahoo article about the buyer of the SGC 96 Nagurski say his goal was to have the best NFL HOF RC collection in existence? Same guy, or another MOSH challenger?

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I love the NFL HOF set and am nearly 50% finished w/ a GPA slightly under 8. My goal is strict 8 through the early to mid 70's and then PSA 9 until late 80's and then PSA 10 from 1989 forward. I don't think that people appreciate the scarcity of many of the HOF rookies. For example, I just purchased a PSA 8 Dave Wilcox for $175, which is a steal at 2x SMR. It has a pop of less than 20 with only 6 higher. Who knows how many of the PSA 8's were cracked out for resubmission - so the real pop may be less than 15. My point is that many of the NFL HOF rookies are extremely tough to find, let alone in PSA 8+ condition. I don't think this person realizes the relative difficulty in completing the set in any grade, let alone in the highest grade possible.

By the way, I'm getting desperate to find a centered PSA 8 Riggins rookie - does anyone have one for sale????

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    Great. So much for me having the highest GPA (8.88) of anyone in the top 30. image Just kidding. That's doesn't actually bother me. Although I do think the "I guarantee I'll be # 1" set name is a bit much.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    I just thought I'd add the following.

This set is a blast and finding the cards is half the battle, having the money is the other half.

I don't have the money to sustain constant buying. So, whenever I get in too deep, I sell some cards to come up with money. It seems like I am always going two steps forward and one step back. But, I am moving forward.

It just takes time.

Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
  • Options
    I thought I would jump in on this for a moment and stir the pot.

First, MAD, I thought that: The best there was....... should be attributed to Ric Flair. I admit though his shot wasn't as good but the slap and the dirty assist were trade marks.

Second,
    I thought this at first had to be Shouldabeena. No one and I mean no one can talk smack from the back of the pack like him. But I believe he has his own listing so probably not. So I would guess this guy to be serious. Based on Jas inputs, he meets the basic criteria......... more money than God. Good start but I suspect it will falter unless he changes his strategy. A quick check showed that more than 10 percent of the cards in the set have top pops of "1". Exactly "1". Cards like those, will put you to the test financially when they appear and even if he can pass, see them all and win the insanity bidding, he will face the hard cold fact that they just don't show up very often.
    In the way this contest is arranged completion percentage will win out over higher GPA unless it is very close. Many of these rare cards are in strong hands, they might not appear on the market but once a decade or less. This length of required effort I believe to be beyond the interest of most. I am using a less stringent requirement on a set of mine and the progress is slow. I could speed it up a bit with ridiculous bids but still would be no where near competitive.
    I think the best chance of challenging the Empire within the next five to ten years, is to complete and upgrade. A nasty cycle but effective in this game. Without that I suspect that you will not be taken seriously enough to get those inside deals.
    As for the name, it is a bit over the top though an empty guarentee costs little. It seems presumptuous to start calling for the surrender of the empire when you are less than 10% complete. I checked even I would be ahead of the guy and I don't even collect this set !
    My hats off to those of you who have tried this quest. Your a better man than I.
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    ""I think the best chance of challenging the Empire within the next five to ten years, is to complete and upgrade. A nasty cycle but effective in this game. Without that I suspect that you will not be taken seriously enough to get those inside deals.""

I agree with Fuzz on this. Lots of good cards are bought, sold and traded to and among the top guys on this set before they ever see the market. Some from well known dealers who, when they get a new card in their inventory, will typically check the sets of the top few guys to see who needs it and will make it available to them first. Probably starts at the top with MOSH and works down. I'm at #3 and get some great card offers. Sometimes even from just regular collectors who don't feel like paying the ebay fees on expensive cards.

There are exceptions of course, especially if you are willing to pay above and beyond a cards value. There are others ranked lower in the set that have made good contacts within the football card industry simply because the dealers know they will pay more. I think anyone going after the high end, low pop HOF RCs will not even get a sniff of many of the cards they need without getting their names in the headlines somehow. But if you aren't going to list your e-mail address, and are attempting to fly under the radar, your only chance of finding these low pop cards is through ebay and/or auction house. And going that route will definitely take you 10+ years to catch MOSH. I think he will figure it out sooner rather than later that he needs to get his name out there and let the football community know that he is looking for these tough cards and is willing to pay top dollar for them. I dont see any other way he reaches #1.

Jason
  • Options
    10 years, OK at least now I have some idea as to when to check back on his progress.
    Jeremy
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

To Fuzz
    Do not open til Christmas
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    To Fuzz:

True, Slick Ric was the....16-time, 16-time world heavyweight wrestliiiing champiooon. Probably was the best there ever was and best there ever will be, considering what's around today.

Just thought for, Bobby Orr, the tagline was apropo.

I agree with your thoughts on the HOF set.

Wish I could do it that way. Marc

------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    ------------
  • Options
    My 2 Cents,

Someone else said that the top cards are only seen once in a decade. My white whales have been a Staubach 9 and Lilly 9. I agree that collectors like myself will only sell certain cards in extreme circumstances. That would include an offer of 10 times what I (recently) paid for a low pop/rare card. That is really the only way to pry a card from me, barring an extreme financial disaster in my personal life. Unlimited funds are not a guarantee of "number one" status on the boards. I concur that it will take 10+ years to take out Vader/Mosh. I have thrown some serious cash offers at people to pry low pop cards and have not even received a curteous "no" response. Jason is really advocating the best strategy based on my own personal experiences. The relationships mean the world in this game. I can't tell you how many cards my relationships have landed me, that I would have never seen otherwise.
  • Options
    Hey Shoulda,
    Was worried that you had fallen asleep. Didn't want you miss my "from the back" compliment.
    I also have not yet taken any grief for passing you recently in the 70's Olympics. Are you really just going to let that slide?
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I also have not yet taken any grief for passing you recently in the 70's Olympics. Are you really just going to let that slide?
    Fuzz >>

My answers in the package! Remember, don't peek til X-mas.

Ho Ho Ho,

ShouldabeenaSanta
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    Mike,
    Have attached a photo of what is top on my list for this. I am afraid that if I didn't let you know............ it will be more coasters.
    Checked the set request list and I didn't see to many surprises so this should be good.
    Still hoping for #1 on my list.
    Fuzz
  • Options
    AMAZING new additions by the new #20 over all set named "" All High Grade RC HOF Set""

PSA 9 Jim Brown, PSA 9 Butkus, PSA 10 Riggins...WOW...

This collector might catch MOSH quicker than you think!!!

Definitely worth watching..Especially since MOSH seems to have disappeared from buying anything lately...

Jason
  • Options
    That's the same guy, he just changed his set name. Must have been peeking at the board.

Speaking of HOF Rookie cards. What do you think about this?

1982 Topps Lawrence Taylor Rookie #434 PSA 10 1/8!
    Jeremy
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭

<< <i>

......Definitely worth watching..Especially since MOSH seems to have disappeared from buying anything lately...

>>

He sure hasn't disappeared from listing his stuff @ 5-10x the going rate though. image
  • Options
    Jeremy- I'm shocked at that ending bid for the Taylor. That is sick.image
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    That's crazy - over $5k??? For $5k I could make a huge dent in my HOF rc set....

Regards,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    To boot, it's not even that nice of a PSA 10.

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    That was a bit more than over the top for that card. Does make the thought of cracking cases more attractive though. A pop 8 no less.
    Regarding the set moving up that changed names, I did notice that he did change strategy from the early reports as several cards are in the set now that have a card or two in higher pop. I think this will move him up the ladder greatly. With the current onslaught of auction material, this set could be a good mover over the next months to a year.
    Anybody that wants to distract MOSH is OK in my book.
    And by the way, you guys are driving me crazy. I am trying to pick up a couple of cards to finish my set and be more competitive but keep getting my head handed to me. Apparently only willing to pay 3X SMR does not even put me in the league with you guys. I lost a 65 Philly Renfro 8 at a price I thought was ridiculous ( a higher pop card) and a pair of Taylors in 9 that I still have a hard time understanding. Best of luck on these and I will get those cards........... sooner or later.
    Fuzz
  • Options
    Yeah, I swung and missed on the 1965 Charley Taylor PSA 9's also...$1,000+ is way outta my price range...

The SMR for the Philly RCs aren't even in the hemisphere...The 1966 Bob Brown has an SMR of $32...Last one sold for 20X that!!!!!

Jason
  • Options
    Some of the Philly RC's have been showing strong prices. Ironically I've been upgrading some of the commons for what I consider reasonable money.
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Philly's have been very strong, especially with the HOF'ers. The lesser known guys that tend to hit the registry all time team sets are sometimes hit or miss. I had to pay $50 for a PSA 8 Bill Brown and paid $35 for my PSA 8 Grady Alderman only to have a PSA 9 Alderman sneak past me while I was on vacation for $39. (Which I offered to buy off the winning bidder at a nice premium and give him an 8 for his personal collection. (he's never even heard of the registry). That one bummed me out.

Like Jason said, SMR is not even in the ballpark on many of these cards, although I would argue they are a little high on a few. In particular I've seen the PSA 8 66 Sayers sell for $405-450 while SMR is $500 or $550 IIRC. But with guys like Eller, Krause, Taylor, Brown and others, the prices are not even close. The Packers, Cowboys and HOF'ers are always strong sellers. I will say that finding high grade examples, particularly in 64 seems to be a pretty easy task. I've even picked up quite a few raw out of books at shows and gotten 8's. The 65's seem to be a little tougher and the 67's are much more difficult.

I also agree with Greg on that LT rc. I realize it's low pop and a pretty tough set to pull 10's I think, but $5100? Yes, that would make a very nice dent in my HOF registry set. In fact, it would pick up that PSA 3 Nagurski I have my eye on and I could still get a half dozen other high grade cards to boot.
  • Options

<< <i>In fact, it would pick up that PSA 3 Nagurski I have my eye on and I could still get a half dozen other high grade cards to boot. >>

Is this the PSA 3 Nagurski in an ebay store???If so, check the scan, its actually a PSA 3 (MC), which = PSA 1 on the Registry...

I almost got tricked into that one myself...

Jason
  • Options
    Didn't the previous LT rookie to sell on eBay, not that long ago in fact, fetch $800 or so? How does a card go from $800 to over $5,000???
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>Didn't the previous LT rookie to sell on eBay, not that long ago in fact, fetch $800 or so? How does a card go from $800 to over $5,000??? >>

Yeah, the last one had sold for $796...Gotta love ebay...All it takes is 2 guys fighting over a card or 2 really high snipes...
  • Options
    DerekDDerekD Posts: 388 ✭✭

<< <i>

Is this the PSA 3 Nagurski in an ebay store???If so, check the scan, its actually a PSA 3 (MC), which = PSA 1 on the Registry...

>>

A PSA 3 with a qualifier actually counts as a 2. Twice as good as a 1. image
  • Options

<< <i>A PSA 3 with a qualifier actually counts as a 2. Twice as good as a 1. >>

I thought all qualified cards lost 2 grades for set registry purposes?
  • Options
    3's and 2's lose 1 and 1's stay a 1.

From the PSA charts:

9Q = -2
    8Q = -2
    7Q = -2
    6Q = -2
    5Q = -2
    4Q = -2
    3Q = -1
    2Q = -1
    1Q = no deduction
  • Options
    I thought all qualified cards lost 2 grades for set registry purposes?

That's correct Andy. Any card with a qualifier is accounted as 2 grades lower for registry purposes. Thus a 9OC would be considered a 7. A PSA 3 MC would be considered a PSA 1. Also, and Card that is deemed "Authentic" is considered a PSA 1 for registry purposes.
  • Options
    Derek- I guess I stand corrected.image
  • Options
    Either way, big difference in the cost of a PSA 3 Nagurski and a PSA 3 MC/PSA 2 Nagurski..At least $1,000 difference...

And the seller has the card listed in the title as a PSA 3, with no mention of the qualifier...And the sale price is PSA 3, without qualifier price...

Jason
  • Options
    I guess the important issue is what's the value of a 3 Qualifier. Would it be closer to a 2 or a 1? I haven't tracked enough to get a good feel.

DD
  • Options
    FYI, the new #19 overall set has added a PSA 9 1965 Topps Joe Namath (Pop 4)...

The WOW factor continues on this big time new set....In fact, I think he could catch MOSH by this time next year...The key will be for him to find the 1948s and 1952's in PSA 8+...

Jason
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    They recently changed the qualifier penalty for PSA 1-3. It used to be the same as for PSA 4-9 until earlier this year.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    10 years guys? How about over Christmas to reach #2! Uh ... all I can say is WOW. Actually, I'm speechless?image
  • Options
    I don't think we expected that you would sell/combine your key cards with with his set.
    Not that I blame you. But he would never have been there if he hadn't bought key parts of a top three set.

This is more like Sets #2-#5 on steriods.
    Just like in business, this consolidation should make things more fun.

Jeremy
  • Options
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    ------------
  • Options
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR