Home Metal Detecting
Options

Drive-ins

Any of you folks had any luck at old drive-in movie sites? We have two here in the valley that I have been thinking about.
imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    It's been a long time since there was a drive-in up and running around here.
    I would say it is likely a good place to hunt, especially if they have a tot-lot area below the screen like when I was a kid.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Any of you folks had any luck at old drive-in movie sites? We have two here in the valley that I have been thinking about. >>

I think the last one for miles from me closed up 15 years ago and I believe it's a cabbage or corn field now. One of my favorite sites for metal detecting stories has a great story about his hunt(s) at an old drive-in, great site and good read if you have a few minutes:

Have Detector - Will Travel Drive-In Article
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    Believe it or not, there is an operating drive-in theater just a few miles from my house. It's quite nostalgic to go to a drive-in these days, as there aren't too many left. I have fond memories of working at one when I was younger.

I think they would be a great place to detect, but I suspect the ground may be still be very hard from years of being driven and parked on. Digging might not be very easy.
    Bob
  • Options
    Bob, I have very fond memories of drive-ins too. Where I was raised in NE Texas we had drive-ins everywhere (circa 1950's). Seemed like every little town had one. Now it's rare to see one operating anywhere. The two the Antelope Valley had both closed down in 1980. I think the last drive-in I went to was 1984 in Van Nuys, CA.

In the Antelope Valley of So. Calif the ground is alluvial and is hard pan consistancy. The only time it's soft is after heavy rains. When that happens the ground is like slurry cement, but only the top two inches or so. About the best you can hope for here is 3-4 inches unless it's grassy. And then it's still frustrating because the dirt in parks under the grass is claylike. Near downtown Palmdale, directly across from where the old railroad station used to be (1880s-1960s) is an open field. According to maps and history of the area there were some buildings there. One being the telephone office in the 1920s. Not to mention I'm sure that's where people parked their buggies and buckboards waiting for the train. Many times I have tried detecting there and dreamed of what I might find, but alas, I've had to give up because the ground on top is like a rock. I have barely made it down an inch. image There really isn't any dirt at all there. So far I've been using my Leche, but soon I may invest in a rock hammer!
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never hunted any, but I've heard they can be silver mines, albeit trashy silver mines.

PS- find out where the concession stand was, if it ain't there anymore. Maybe the ground won't be as hard there, and there will probably be a lot more coins there.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.