Home Stamps Forum
Options

Small modern collection - Advice for a non-stamp collector?

Hi all,

I'm not a stamp collector (coins are my area), although when I was younger I put away around a dozen sheets of stamps (around the mid-1990s). I'd like to sell the sheets on eBay or around here, but I'm not sure how to go about packaging them for shipping. I don't want to have anything arriving damaged. Also, I'm not really sure what anything's worth. I figure a couple of bucks over face. Anyone here interested in hearing what I've got and offering their thoughts on ballpark value and how/where I should sell them?

Thanks,
Michael

Comments

• Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    You can use the large brown envelopes from office supply stores and then use cardboard cut from boxes as backing. I've received stamps where people used cereal boxes cut as backing. I work in an IT dept so I usually scrounge around the shipping material that hardware is sent in and grab that. Some people also put the sheet in a plastic bag taped to keep it from getting wet.

As far as a ballpark value, if a collector needs it for their collection, they may spend face-value or slightly above. Ones needing it to fill their collection will be about the only ones willing to spend above face as s/h charges make it not as attractive. Other collectors and dealers will pay below face as these are common material.
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. So if they were wanting to pay below face, wouldn't I be better off just mailing letters with those stamps + extra postage? Also, think I could do better than that if I sold them as a lot rather than individually?
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

It's a common illusion to think unused mint postage in sheets or blocks carry a premium over face value. So much of it exists. You can actually buy unused stamps at under postage values. Here is one example:

Steve Mallack website

Notice they will sell $100.00 face value for $93.00 - $500.00 face value for $460.00

You know they buy these sheets and collections for less than where they sell them to you.

As previously noted, a collector may want or need specific items and be willing to pay a small premium. Otherwise, don't expect the unused postage to be of significant market value.

KJ

• Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    Good grief. I think I'll stick with coins! You won't hear anyone saying, "Well, your Susan B. Anthony Dollar is in mint condition, but they're common as heck, so I'll give you 93 cents for it."

Thanks to everyone who replied :-)

• Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Thats a "weakness" to stamps... they are not legal tender. If the Post Office was to ever buy back mint stamps for face, then it would be very rare to find someone selling for less than face. I would love to buy US coins and currency for less than face.