Home Stamps Forum
Options

Looking for advice

Hi

Ive collected coins for 30 years and most recently paper money including early postage currency. Most of them have gotten fairly pricy so I have sold most of what I own. 40 years ago I collected stamps too but have none now. I am looking to collect some stamps (for fun) but I realize things have changed and I dont want to spend a lot of money (under 2000 over time) and I also dont want to get burned with stuff I can never sell.

My main interest is in 19th century stamps, new or used I dont care (maybe I should),

any advice for a newbie??

Comments

• Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

Try the PSE encapsulated product. I have a coin/currency background not too different from yours. When I discovered PSE encapsulated stamps a few months ago it was like finding what I had always wanted. I have a few 19th century issues in less expensive grades. These are as much fun as any of our 20th century gems. DLRC now offers PSE encapsulated stamps. Steve Crippe also has a good selection of encapsulated items.

KJ

• Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    My main interest is US 19th century too. Condition is everything. If you collect fault-free 19th century material, it shouldn't be a problem if you ever decide to sell. For higher priced stamps, its best to get a cert. If its a lower value, but seems to have excellent centering, it could be a candidate for a graded cert or encapsulation. Before diving in though, I would find a dealer or friend with experience. Early issues can be misidentified, have faults such as thins, creases, tears, or other deceiving things such as reperfs, regums, repaired tears, cancellations removed and the list goes on. I've learned the hard way, ie lost money; and am still learning.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Tread very lightly and do NOT spend major bucks on any stamps until you try some inexpensive purchases (<$100) and have them evaluated by a knowledgeable collector or stamp dealer THAT YOU TRUST IMPLICITLY.

Pricing in the world of stamp collecting is very different from that in the coin collecting world. There is no equivalent of Greysheet. The catalog prices you see bear no relationship to selling prices, unless you're talking about exceptional examples of rare stamps. Retail prices at 25%-50% of Scott are not uncommon, and wholesale prices of 15-30% are the norm. Collections can drop even further. I've bought country collections with Scott catalog values between $3,000 and $5,000 for 5-10% of Scott. My most recent large collection purchase was at roughly 4% of Scott.

Personally, I'm not a fan of graded stamps, especially graded semi-modern issues, given the absolutely ludicrous multiples of Scott they bring (great for those selling, but as a collector I wouldn't go anywhere near them). When a common 3-cent commemorative graded 98 or 100 sells for 1,000 or 10,000 times catalog, that is just stupid. There were *millions* printed, and who knows what the potential population is, especially at this early stage of the "grading game."

Graded classic stamps are a slightly different area, but rather than paying huge premiums (see Gary Posner, Inc.) I'm more inclined to buy a nongraded cert showing a problem-free example, although faulty stamps with certs can sell well depending on the scarcity of the stamp.
  • Options
    I think for someone looking to start collecting stamps, like with any collecting area, learn all you can before buying anything. If you have interest in pre 1900 United States stamps, I would suggest that you collect used only - the mint stamps are mostly very expensive, if genuine, but used with "washed" cancels abound in the pre 1870 material that trick the unwary. On anything over $100, I would suggest getting a certificate from either PSE or Philatelic Foundation. Forget encapsulated, graded OK if you think primarily as an investment. And lastly, find a dealer that has a good return policy and knows what they are doing. Good luck.

Personally, I am a dealer in postal history (covers) and have been in the business since 1968. I find that area much more interesting. If you want to see a cross-over, postal history-coins, exhibit you might enjoy my "Paying The Postage" presentation shown

here.

Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    Any thoughts about doing a Registry Set? This CoinWeenie did You'll recognize the name

On a serious note, 19th century, I'm assuming you mean 1800's, basically scott #1-#293, and no more than $2000 over time, either * or o might not work out too well. Which ever way you collect centering is very important. Doesn't mean you have to buy all XF and Jumbos. But at least all color off the perfs. Even just a little color into the perfs can take the eye appeal away. Ten - 20 stamps and you're out of money. Please go to the PSE homepage and go to the online store for Century Stamps. I'm using them for ease. What you want is at the top obviously (1-293) Then go to the other sites and find PSE XF JUMBOS just for fun! Saying that, please don't think you can't also buy in the $10-$100 range either. And that leads us to you statement about new or used, and maybe you should care.

Of course it matters. Some of the neatest, nicest, outrageous cancels are from this time. Some very expensive. Feathers, bullseyes, and some of the pre-cancels are really neat. There's even one of a guy thumbing his nose. Or is that one from pre-stamp? Anyway, with alot of cancels, they are just that. These with minor faults, off center can be bought fairly reasonably depending on scott nr. i.e. #39 $7.5K + any cancel. 114 $15-$50.

Just a word of caution. Don't stare at Laceupboots' Dancing Troupe for very long. The longer you stare, the faster it gets moving!

Jerry
  • Options
    Thanks guys

Sounds like nice used 1-293 should be my target and I will tread lightly. I have noticed how much lower than the catalog prices they seem to sell for. Is this the same when buying from dealers or do they use 90% cat prices to sell and 20% when buying??

I've seen a lot of collections on Ebay from NYstamps. Is he legit or is there something to watch out for here? I think buying one at a time could be more expensive than in bulk so I was looking at his stuff.

Where is the best place to find good stamps that I'm not paying major retail for??

Thanks again for the help
  • Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    My recommendation is to stay away from those large sellers that list lots on eBay. They have been picked over and anything hi-value is going to be pulled. There are many legit dealers, but their prices may seem high at first; until you see the quality of material they are selling. Gary Posner, Steve Crippe, Alan Cohen, E&M, are just a few and I believe Crippe and E&M are forum members here, but there are many more. When dealing with high-end stamps, it will not be unusual to see items above cat. A look in SMQ or SVS can give you an idea of prices in these high grades.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks guys

Sounds like nice used 1-293 should be my target and I will tread lightly. I have noticed how much lower than the catalog prices they seem to sell for. Is this the same when buying from dealers or do they use 90% cat prices to sell and 20% when buying??

I've seen a lot of collections on Ebay from NYstamps. Is he legit or is there something to watch out for here? I think buying one at a time could be more expensive than in bulk so I was looking at his stuff.

Where is the best place to find good stamps that I'm not paying major retail for??

Thanks again for the help >>

See my post in this thread.
  • Options

<< <i>My recommendation is to stay away from those large sellers that list lots on eBay. They have been picked over and anything hi-value is going to be pulled. There are many legit dealers, but their prices may seem high at first; until you see the quality of material they are selling. Gary Posner, Steve Crippe, Alan Cohen, E&M, are just a few and I believe Crippe and E&M are forum members here, but there are many more. When dealing with high-end stamps, it will not be unusual to see items above cat. A look in SMQ or SVS can give you an idea of prices in these high grades. >>

I do pay above Scott for material in the area I specialize in (U.S. revenues), but rather than it being $4,000 for a superb example of a $2,000 stamp, it's more like paying $20 for a pristine example of a $10 stamp.

For example, the stamp below catalogs for $10, but I pounced on a Buy-It-Now for $15 + S&H. Not only is it a wonderful XF example with great centering and large margins, but the crisp SON cancel adds huge premiums. I would have paid considerably more for it.

• Options
    The grasshopper will thread lightly
  • Options
    Check out Nutmeg's Baby Sale. There's some of what you are thinking of collecting. These have minor faults and the prices don't seem that outrageous.

Link

Just scroll down until you see U.S. Postal Issues.

Jerry