Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Should wealthy collectors goose their specialty markets by authorizing and paying for a book to be w

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
Everyone knows that I love numismatic books. I think it does without saying that one of the side benefits to the book, other than disseminating numismatic knowledge, is that it gives the author credibility as an expert in a series. The other benefit is that it may increase that dealer's business, and quite possibly, a market can be created where one did not exist before (or stated more correctly, the masses could be whipped up into a frothy frenzy over a particular market niche, and the increased demand can drive up prices).

Dealer/authors write many books. However, what do you think about wealthy collectors using their pocketbooks to goose the markets a bit in their collecting specialties? For example, should a wealthy collector underwrite a major new book in a specialty series, help promote its circulation through a lot of publicity, and then indirectly (or directly) reap the benefits of an increased market demand when he goes to sell his specialty collection? Attached below is an article in Esylum. Although I think it is a great idea to promote numismatics and get more books out there, my thoughts about were the first thing that popped into my head when I read "finest set in existance" and "publication and promotion of a new book on the series". What do you think? Also, if you are not signed up for Esylum (it's FREE), you should-- click here: Esylum-- it's FREE!!

BOOK PLANNED ON COLORADO MINTERS AND ASSAYERS

>From a press release published Thursday: "Through the generosity
of the collector who owns the finest set of Colorado private gold
coins in existence, the Gallery Mint Museum Foundation (GMMF)
recently announced the sponsorship of the first in a series of
books on historical mints.

Denver businessman and philanthropist Frederick Mayer announced
his donation of $20,000 to the minting museum for the publication
and promotion of a book on minters and assayers of the Colorado
Territory. Publishing books and articles relating to the history
of minting technologies is one of the primary missions of the GMM
Foundation. Several manuscripts already are in the works, with the
Colorado book the first to find a sponsor.

The book will be authored by Lawrence J. Lee, Ph.D., researcher
and author of numerous articles on Colorado gold coins and patterns.
Dr. Lee served for three years as curator to Mayer’s superb collection
of Colorado gold coins, patterns and ingots, considered to be the
finest known. The collection is now on exhibit at a private gallery
in Denver.

The new minting book will catalog the individual coins in the
Colorado series, beginning with the state’s earliest numismatic
history in 1821 and continuing through 1863 with the end of private
gold coinage in the state. In addition to recently discovered historic
details and photographs of Colorado minters and assayers, the book
also will include information on mintages, rarities, counterfeit
detection and other aspects of collecting the coins in the Colorado
series.

Prior to announcing his donation, Mayer hosted several Mint Foundation
board members and invited guests at his Denver residence—The RedHOUSE.
Among the GMMF board members in attendance were Ron Landis, Tim Grat,
John Nebel, Ed Rochette and Bob Evans, as well as gold experts Lee,
Dwight Manley, Larry Goldberg, Don Kagin, Ken Bressett and Robert Rhue.

For more information about the Gallery Mint Museum Foundation and its
publication program, contact Ron Landis at GMMF, PO Box 101, Eureka
Springs, AR 72632 or call him at 479-981-3111. For additional information
about the Colorado book, contact Dr. Lee at 402-488-2646 or write him at
PO Box 6194, Lincoln, NE 68505."

Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Longacre, I see nothing wrong with a collector authorizing and paying for a book to be written, or loaning a collection out for photography to facilitate a book, or providing photographs for one. If it increases numismatic knowledge, it doesn't matter to me how the book was created.

BTW, do you owe Goose3 a royalty for using his name in the title of this thread? image

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I always laugh when I see "frothy frenzy". image

I was just thinking about this topic last night when I saw in CW that Loewinger's proof gold collection is headed for the auction block. He did a book based on his collection and so did Cardinal (early dollars). It certainly worked out well for Cardinal.

I bet there are others I can't think of at the moment.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need not be wealthy to write a specialty book. Perhaps, a book on "Dirty Gold" is in order?
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I've written myself a photo book, and as of now, it should see publication some time in the not too distant future.image
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    There are so many areas of numismatics that need a book. Contemporary counterfeit coins (save for bust halves which already have one). For many of these coins, we rely on auction catalogues that offered major collections of the material. The dark side could use some as well, special references for US collectors of world coins.
    Greg Cohen

Senior Numismatist

Legend Rare Coin Auctions
  • Options
    Browning was not a rich man when he wrote his quarter book, not a plate coin in it from my understanding was owned by him. Did the people that sponsored his work and opened their collection up for him, benefit from it, yes.. but so did we all.

"I am sorry you are unhappy with the care you recieved, is their anything I can do for you right now, how about some high speed lead therapy?" - A qoute from my wife's nursing forum

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." – Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not concerned if Larry Lee is the author; however I might be concerned if someone else, say Rita Laws, was the author.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Wow. Who bumped the Longacre Classic(TM) thread?
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The title of my next numismatic book will be:

"Making Your Fortune In Lincoln Looks At Kennedy Pennies."

It will shortly be followed by:

"Numismatic Publisher Medals - The Key To Your Financial Future."

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow. Who bumped the Longacre Classic(TM) thread? >>

There is a whole lota bumpin going on image

"I am sorry you are unhappy with the care you recieved, is their anything I can do for you right now, how about some high speed lead therapy?" - A qoute from my wife's nursing forum

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." – Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow. Who bumped the Longacre Classic(TM) thread? >>

the classics never die image

there's always a place for new reference books and even a few "vaniety" books if the compulation of previous information is accurate and well presented..
    If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • Options
    DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    If all it took was $20,000, the market would see many more books per annum than it does now.

==============

P.S. Is it me, or does the Longacre of 1Q2008 post about 40% fewer messages than the Longacre of 4Q2006?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file