Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Advice needed - 1795 3 Leaves $1 PCGS VF25

I put an absentee bid of $2500 on this for kicks.

Just got a call and the lady said I won it for $3500.

Mistakes aside, IF I can get this for $3500 should I? I think I should because PCGS thinks I should. What say you?

Have to go to work and won't be back until maybe 2AM.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Oh, and HOW BOUT THEM REDSKINS!!!!!!! WOOOOOO!

Comments

• Options
    If you can get it for 3,500 I would, and if you can't put her in touch with me!!

Yea how about them Skins, it was a great game and DC went wild!!!
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since when do you bid $2500 and win for $3500. Something smells bad.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    <<I put an absentee bid of $2500 on this for kicks>>

Sounds like this is more in line with trends than the $3500, but these oldies but goodies may be hot right now...the dang coin market is going bananas.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I put an absentee bid of $2500 on this for kicks. Just got a call and the lady said I won it for $3500. >>

Understandably, I'm confused.
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485

<< <i>I put an absentee bid of $2500 on this for kicks.

Just got a call and the lady said I won it for $3500.

Mistakes aside, IF I can get this for $3500 should I? I think I should because PCGS thinks I should. What say you?

Have to go to work and won't be back until maybe 2AM.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Oh, and HOW BOUT THEM REDSKINS!!!!!!! WOOOOOO!

image >>

The information contained in your post is incomplete and confusing. For example, how/why were you awarded the item at $3500 instead of $2500? Who is the seller? Are you certain that they're reputable?

Please provide us with some specifics and don't so anything with the seller yet. Regardless of what ends up happening in this instance, it can be very risky to accept PCGS Price Guide or any other price guide prices as gospel.
  • Options

<< <i>I put an absentee bid of $2500 on this for kicks.

Just got a call and the lady said I won it for $3500....

image >>

As Al Bundy once said:

"Run hard, run now, run silent, run deep. Run, like Mexican water through a first-time tourist. But the key word here is 'Run'."

If someone is trying to convince you that you "won" any item for $1000 > you bid, then it's got to be a scam. Run!

If you haven't noticed, I'm single and miserable and I've got four albums of bitching about it that I would offer as proof.

-- Adam Duritz, of Counting Crows

My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I put an absentee bid of $2500 on this for kicks. Just got a call and the lady said I won it for $3500. >>

Understandably, I'm confused. >>

Unless it is their new 40% buyers fee, me too image Nice coin though
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I could get that coin for $3500, I would take it (sight-seen, of course). Be sure that you are really going to get what you think you are going to get for your money. image
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Unless I am missing something
    Hell yeah - Looks like 4K++ coin to me

Edited to add - I did not think about the possibility of it being a scam. Which is a valid point. If it is legit - I think it is a great deal though.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    if those digi-pics are the least bit accurate, i would definitely pass. that coins' doctored to death. NOT original patina, not even close!

K S
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>if those digi-pics are the least bit accurate, i would definitely pass. that coins' doctored to death. NOT original patina, not even close!

K S >>

In what is becoming an all-too common occurrence these days, I agree with dk. That coin looks funkified, which means you have what sounds like a scam for a funky coin.

Thats a bad combination.
  • Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    What makes the coin look doctored? Trying to learn. image Thanks!

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    <<What makes the coin look doctored? Trying to learn>>

The color is odd/unusual for that type, as if it has possibly been retoned after a cleaning or AT'd - hard to tell for certain from the images, though.
  • Options
    this coin was harshly cleaned & a artificial patina applied w/ a combination of bleach, heat & grease. those 3 ingredients conspire to create that awful brownish-tan fake patina. it's an ez look to duplicate in your kitchen. try it out on some cheap washington qtr's

K S
  • Options
    If all of that, what has been mentioned may have happened to the coin, then how in the heck did it get into a slab@VF-25 then?
    Chat Board Lingo

• Options
    Yeah!!

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>if those digi-pics are the least bit accurate, i would definitely pass. that coins' doctored to death. NOT original patina, not even close!

K S >>

In what is becoming an all-too common occurrence these days, I agree with dk. That coin looks funkified, which means you have what sounds like a scam for a funky coin.

Thats a bad combination. >>

Agree 100%
    This whole situation has that "rotton egg smell (sic)" to it.
    I agree---run away.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options

<< <i>If all of that, what has been mentioned may have happened to the coin, then how in the heck did it get into a slab@VF-25 then? >>

again I ask....this coin was harshly cleaned & a artificial patina applied w/ a combination of bleach, heat & grease/.as if it has possibly been retoned after a cleaning or AT'd ...

Please address my original question?

<<This whole situation has that "rotton egg smell (sic)" to it.>>

This I understand about gassing a coin in the holder, but I don't understand cleaned & AT'ed and then appear in a PCGS holder???

Thank you
    Chat Board Lingo

• Options
    There are many many many many...you get it.... cleaned and AT'd coins in PCGS/NGC and all other plastic companies holders out there.

I know they are graded by professionals.....but the MythBusters are professionals too and they make a few things go boom when not expected alsoimage

Don't fall into the image trap Wooden Jefferson
  • Options
    LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349

<< <i>this coin was harshly cleaned & a artificial patina applied w/ a combination of bleach, heat & grease. those 3 ingredients conspire to create that awful brownish-tan fake patina. it's an ez look to duplicate in your kitchen. try it out on some cheap washington qtr's

K S >>

Eeeww.... image

That doesn't sound like a safe thing to do... carcinogens and all... not to mention the poor little coins! image

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • Options

<< <i>There are many many many many...you get it.... cleaned and AT'd coins in PCGS/NGC and all other plastic companies holders out there.

I know they are graded by professionals.....but the MythBusters are professionals too and they make a few things go boom when not expected alsoimage

I get your point, JRocco...but there were only 203,000 of this very high profile coin minted. You'd think that before a grade was placed on this coin it would have been scrutinized ~very closely~ due to the value it would bring the submitter once it got the seal of approval.

I just don't get it all...yet? image
    Chat Board Lingo

• Options
    This may sound silly WoodenJeff, but .....now don't laugh because someday you will do this and remember laughing at me.....

When I get a nice new raw coin... I smell it....

STOP LAUGHING !!!

You would be amazed at some of the smells on a raw coin.... most times - no problem, but sometimes you can smell trouble.
    I found a large supply of coins of mine that were unintentionally stored and exposed to a common household cleaner, sometimes you smell that "rotten egg" smell---- one time I found an nice old CBH that smelled like old socks----NOT PRETTY.

I bet that if you crack that coin in this thread out of that holder it would smell strongly.............

Bet you never knew coin collecting involved your noseimageimage
  • Options
    That makes scentsimage
    Chat Board Lingo

• Options

<< <i>That makes scentsimage >>

3 point shot........................nothin but net........
  • Options

<< <i>this coin was harshly cleaned & a artificial patina applied w/ a combination of bleach, heat & grease. those 3 ingredients conspire to create that awful brownish-tan fake patina. it's an ez look to duplicate in your kitchen. try it out on some cheap washington qtr's

K S >>

I'm wondering if this coins looks different on my monitor than everyone else's. I remember you ripping us for not knowing what original bag-toned Morgans looked like when I posted a KNOWN MOC AT coin on eBay. You felt it was original.

I don't know what to think either way about this coin. Can someone link a nice "original" coin of about the same grade?
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is something fairly close for you, GullibleNewb. The coin is a 1795 dollar graded VF20 and I believe it is original. Those who might disagree are free to argue away. The apparent scratch on the reverse is actually cracked plastic from the holder and the area near it that is somewhat blue in hue is from the light bouncing off this cracked and partially depressed area of plastic.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Hubba hubba. Me like.

What do you think of the coin the OP posted?
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without seeing that piece in-hand, there is simply too little information in this case for me to go out on a limb and rip the piece or praise it.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    Here is one like the OP posted, but on ebay
    same year, type, grade

I think this one looks better.

Link

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't get a good enough read on the original image in this thread to say for sure the coin has been boinked with. That red hue on both obverse and reverse are troubling.... but I think it might just be from lighting. Notice the reverse label on the holder has the same hue.

And of course the coin TomB posted looks like a true un-boinked with gorgeous coin. But I would make note to others that just because a coin looks brown or toned dark doesn't mean it hasn't been boinked with and in no way should be considered original. I like to see how crusty it looks, how deep and embedded the tone is. Sometimes they will just have a floating kind of brown tone and very light and thin. I call this to myself see-through toning. Same with "colorful" toning on these old coins. No see-through toning for me.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Without seeing that piece in-hand, there is simply too little information in this case for me to go out on a limb and rip the piece or praise it. >>

yessss......I know...you're right....sigh....

Online auction....trusting the slab....bad, I know...but what the hell are we supposed to do if we can't trust PCGS?

tongue in cheek...but damn...

I talked to the "rep" and told her my max was $2500...she took a minute to look me up...phones ringing...sounded busy...

[edited for coinguy:] I KNOW THEY MAY HAVE PHONE RINGING SOUND EFFECTS TAPES TO MAKE IT SEEM AS IF THEY REALLY ARE BUSY, BUT I CAN'T CONFIRM OR DENY THIS INFORMATION AT THE PRESENT TIME.[/sarcasm]

She said she woud pass this info on and they would call me back....I said I was flexible on the $2500...she sounded like an auction clearing house kind of business.

I'm standing by and will update...

Thanks for all the help folks....I appreciate it.

Damn I'm tired.....bedtime...
  • Options

<< <i>This may sound silly WoodenJeff, but .....now don't laugh because someday you will do this and remember laughing at me.....

When I get a nice new raw coin... I smell it....

STOP LAUGHING !!! >>

you are not crazy! this is a very smart thing to do.

<< <i><< this coin was harshly cleaned & a artificial patina applied w/ a combination of bleach, heat & grease. those 3 ingredients conspire to create that awful brownish-tan fake patina. it's an ez look to duplicate in your kitchen. try it out on some cheap washington qtr's

K S >>

I'm wondering if this coins looks different on my monitor than everyone else's. I remember you ripping us for not knowing what original bag-toned Morgans looked like when I posted a KNOWN MOC AT coin on eBay. You felt it was original. >>

note that i carefully prefaced my original post w/ "if those digi-pics are the least bit accurate," furthermore, i am still convinced that the alleged "KNOWN MOC AT" had more going on then we are told (if it's the 1 i'm thinking of). but that's beside the point. there's no doubt the coin should be seen inhand before making a decision.

but this begs the question of why the he11 the originator of this thread, "new-b" is bidding on a coin sight-unseen? just because it's in a pcgs holder???

the 1 thing i can tell you for sure is this: if the coin actually has that slimy sludgy-brown color as shown by the digi-pic, then it is doctored. THAT'S why you should NEVER, EVER BUY COINS SIGHT-UNSEEN.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file