Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is Heritage's new feature disclosing the source of winning bids needed or necessary?

I got my regular weekly update email from Heritage. The email indicated that Heritage has a new feature where it discloses the source of the wins for all of its auctions. See the quote below. Is this feature needed, necessary, and does it make a difference to anyone?

"Everybody in the room at one of our live auctions knows where the winning bid came from, if not necessarily who placed it, but that source has always been hidden from people looking at auction results on our website. No longer. In our unceasing drive to give you the best information about our auctions, we have added a new feature to the Permanent Auction Archives. You may have seen something like this already as you were watching the results from one of our auctions roll by, but now, next to each lot in our archives, you can see the source of the winning bid — Internet (any bid placed through HA.com), mail/fax, floor, phone, podium, or eBay Live."
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Interesting, but I don't see any advantage with this new feature....

Dennis
  • Options
    DJCDJC Posts: 787
    It'll be nice to know, from a curiosity standpoint if nothing else, but I don't now about needed or necessary.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is a good move. Too often, internet and other non-floor bidders tend to think that they don't have a chance. Now, if they can see where bids come from, they might rethink their willingness to bid and perhaps it will help to add more bidders and therefore drive up prices realized.
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I noticed that myself and wondered why they have done it and to whose benefit it is.

My conclusion was that they are trying to provide the greatest possible transparency and maximize the comfort for all bidders that 1) they have a shot and 2) there really was some guy on the phone bidding on that coin -

• Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    How can the availability of more information be harmful?
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How can the availability of more information be harmful? >>

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I suspect they're trying to show non-floor bidders that they really *do* win some lots, so as to encourage them to keep trying.
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if the new feature is needed or necessary. but I like it.

I've sold enough coins thru Heritage auctions but never attended one. I have often wondered where the winning bids came from.

-------------

etexmike
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

I agree. In situations like these, I would always opt for more information than less.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it, but it doesn't add much IMO. What I really like is that now they tell us what the reserves are. IMO this helps bidders a lot, because we don't waste time or commit dollars to lots that we want to bid on, but in an amount less than the reserve amount. Thanks, Heritage for adding this feature!

Now if we can only get Teletrade to do the same thing!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    they probably have the information in their software and some people wanted to know where the bids were coming from so might as well add another bit of information. I agree that more info is not bad at all.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Not necessary, but may be instructive.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options

It can't be harmful. All information is good and dealers who provide it to their customers should be commended. Period.

Jay
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭

I don't know, but I'm holding a bookburning next week. Everyone is invited to bring all of their books to contribute to the fire. image
  • Options

I just wish they would come out with it and tell us who won the lot!image

Jack

• Options
    jayboxxjayboxx Posts: 1,613 ✭✭
    I just wish they would come out with it and tell us who won the lot

While they are at it, they could also give us a historical record of what that person has bid on and if they won that coin. That would be useful image
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If an Ebay bidder buys a lot, it costs him an extra 5% and that gets reported in the sales price. Therefore, disclosing the source of the bid provides more info about the quality of the info, i.e., whether the underbidder was 5% or 10% lower. It also eliminates confusion for consignors reviewing results online, who might otherwise think they had an extra 5% coming to them.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    I don't believe Heritage reports eBay in these cases. They are all lumped as Internet. It is known on the floor though. ("Another one goes to the eBay idiots....the people who use Coin Prices as a valuation guide and don't even know they can save valuable percents by registering to bid directly at Heritage, Superior, ...") It is useful to know that certain bids are much more likely sight-unseen than others too.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to Heritage:

you can see the source of the winning bid — Internet (any bid placed through HA.com), mail/fax, floor, phone, podium, or eBay Live."
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Well, if it does show eBay specifically, then that is useful one way or the other depending on the coin and the bid. I still bid the coin and use their history to a minor extent, hardly depending on it.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There may be an additional benefit to disclosing this info. I remember calling Heritage a few times to find out who was the winning bidder, floor, telephone or internet, etc?

Now that Heritage customer service reps no longer have to deal with this they can now have time to do other things for us.

I would like my coffee regular with sweet n' low please!
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file