Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The intent of my last two polls...

As a person with a few toned coins, I've contemplated the NT vs AT debate for a good while (measured in years). I've heard people argue time and time again that if someone intentionally tones a coin, it is AT. The problem is that as a buyer, there's little you can do to determine if a coin was intentionally toned or not. Sure, you can peg a lot of them based on the toning style, but as in the trunk hypothetical some times there's no way of determining if a coin were intentionally toned. Someone else mentioned intentional album toning. When it comes down to it, AT or NT, it's whether the coin is "market acceptible" that matters. I have a few coins (in ANACS, NGC, and PCGS holders) that I know are AT. You couldnt buy them from me for a sane amount of money.

Btw, I was pretty pleased to se the consistency of the vote for the two polls. It seems to reflect that motive had little to do with the voter's opinion. Or at least that would be my interpretation.

Link 1
Link 2

-David

Comments

• Options
    Good news for coin docs everywhere, knowing that motive matters not.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Good news for coin docs everywhere, knowing that motive matters not.

I'm sure there's already millionaire coin doctors out there that have made their fortune from their trade. I'm also sure there are a lot of experienced collectors/dealers out there that own doctored coins and think they are the result of "natural" toning. As long as there is a premium for attractively toned coins, there will be coin doctors. If they can do a good enough job to fool one of the top three third party grading companies, they're going to pocket the profit... and the motive really wont matter.

-David

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file